Who Will Pose A Threat Next Season

Dippers definitely seem keen to add quality to their squad but I remain unconvinced about their consistency and ability to shut down the poorer sides, always been their Achilles heel. United will be stronger and under Mourinho hard to beat, but if we can attain similar levels of consistency, I just think no one can touch us. Chelsea are always an enigma and god knows what will happen there in the summer!

Can't believe so many are worried about the dippers just because they are getting 1 player in,we'll all buy,the teams outside the top 4 usually have the time to prepare and rest so those teams,i fancy the chavs if not us as they will have no CL and the new manager bounce
I sort of agree with you. But, if we carry on in the same trajectory, I honestly can’t see anyone being a threat. And I’m an old school sky blue pessimist!

For anyone to pose a threat next season we have to be worse than we have been this season and at least one team has to be considerably better than they have been. To overturn a seventeen point margin we would have to lose 3 more matches than this season and our rival would have to win 3 more. This doesn't sound implausible, but we haven't actually had many narrow wins which seem likely to descend into defeat and in our two league defeats we have dominated much of the game and seem as likely to turn them into victories as lose them again. And the chances of any side improving enough to close the gap don't seem that high. There are question marks over Chelsea, though absence from the CL last season did their domestic chances little harm. Spurs seem to be going backwards. United have had their best season since 2012/3 but their starting base was rather low and it looks as though further considerable improvement is required to put them in with a realistic chance of the title. Liverpool appear most observers' choice as major challenger to City. This is curious since they have fallen well short in the three full seasons Klopp has been in charge of the 84 points Rogers got in 2013/4, and evidence that Liverpool have improved at all on last season is thin: they will end this season with fewer points than last season and, with one game left, has scored only 2 more and conceded only 4 fewer than last season. Even more telling is that this stagnation has been possible only because they have a forward who has scored 40+ goals this season - more than twice the number he has got in any season before. It would seem Liverpool need him to have another record breaking season next season just to get into the top four rather than challenge for the title.

If history repeats itself Chelsea will have a bounce back season, if Liverpool lose the Champions League final and get knocked out of the top 4 I could actually seem them falling away a bit, then they'd have a harder job of keeping Salah when Real or Barca come knockin'.

Last edited:
Don't think anyone will be that close to cause a threat.

If we are 6-10 worse which I doubt the rags need to improve 10 pts and the dippers even more to just get near us.

I can see us doing 3 in row. The players with other teams just aren't/coached well enough to close the gap & I can't see us doing Sinclair type signings while they buy top shelf players.

Arsenal
Their squad isn't strong enough to challenge for the title and Emery will need time to implement his methods.

Chelsea
It will probably take a year for the players to understand Sarri's concepts. If the likes of Courtois, Hazard and Willian leave then they'll need to rebuild.

Liverpool
Dependent on them improving their consistency and Salah reproducing a similar numbers. Fekir and Keita will give them better strength in depth. Champions League run could give them belief.

Manchester United
I don't think they'll be able to accumulate the points needed to challenge a City side under Pep with Mourinho's cautious playing style. There are too many egos in the dressing room and their recruitment strategy seems to lack a clear vision. I foresee a classic Mourinho meltdown next season.

Tottenham
How will they adapt to a new stadium? They sell too many key players with Alderweireld looking likely to be next. Pochettino has never won a trophy and the club doesn't have a winning mentality.

Verdict
Liverpool will be our closest challengers next season.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.