Bernardo Silva - 2017/18 performances

Status
Not open for further replies.
He can play RW if he is allowed the freedom to drift centrally like Sterling is often given. He can't play as a winger like Sane who can touch the line and use pace, but given that we have Danilo and Walker who can dominate the right flank I think it's perfectly okay.

Really weird comment to make seeing as he's only been excellent while playing on the right, both for Monaco and us, and most of his best work is either linking up with wide players overlapping him, or cutting inside from wide.

You're essentially saying "This guy has been amazing in position 1, but he'll only be truly great if we move him to a position he's never played for us or his previous club".

He played centrally up until the age of 19 so I'm sure he can play there. He's been brilliant out wide and was brilliant again tonight, long term he should move more centrally. A better option than Gundogan there for me.

Love the guy, so good to see him play so well, week after week having struggled to find his form initially. Will be one of the Pep's best signings.

Really weird comment to make seeing as he's only been excellent while playing on the right, both for Monaco and us, and most of his best work is either linking up with wide players overlapping him, or cutting inside from wide.

You're essentially saying "This guy has been amazing in position 1, but he'll only be truly great if we move him to a position he's never played for us or his previous club".
at monaco he mostly played centrally. he and lemar would drift inside with the fullbacks providing width. he was also brought in to become silva's sucessor.

The Greatest Lie Ever Told TM.

I've lost count on the amout of times I've read this here. t's not true. Bernardo never played as wide at Monaco as he has been playing for City, just because he appeared on the team sheet there doesn't mean it's true. Team sheets are just a reference. He is a playmaker first and foremost and should play in the mid.

I also disagree that he has only been excellent for you playing on the right. That's because that is the only role he has been allowed so far, and he has been far from excellent. He missed out on most of the game there. He's the player to have the ball on his feet for most of the time, not the the winger constantly trying to get inbetween defenders waiting for a pass. He's the one to make that pass. He's really being wasted on thr right.

at monaco he mostly played centrally. he and lemar would drift inside with the fullbacks providing width. he was also brought in to become silva's sucessor.

He was brought in to be Silva's successor? Oh did Pep tell you that? Or was it one of the Silva's themselves?

The Greatest Lie Ever Told TM.

I've lost count on the amout of times I've read this here. t's not true. Bernardo never played as wide at Monaco as he has been playing for City, just because he appeared on the team sheet there doesn't mean it's true. Team sheets are just a reference. He is a playmaker first and foremost and should play in the mid.

I also disagree that he has only been excellent for you playing on the right. That's because that is the only role he has been allowed so far, and he has been far from excellent. He missed out on most of the game there. He's the player to have the ball on his feet for most of the time, not the the winger constantly trying to get inbetween defenders waiting for a pass. He's the one to make that pass. He's really being wasted on thr right.

Actually, I'd argue the absolute rubbish you just regurgitated is "the greatest lie ever told" about Bernardo, because he didn't play centrally in a number 10 position or the equivalent of Silva or De Bruyne's role, and you've actually then argued against something I never said.

Bernardo never played as wide at Monaco as he has been playing for City

I didn't say he did. I said he played on the right.

Yes, he and Lemar were not out and out wingers, and yes, the fullbacks overlapped, that is not the same as playign centrally. He played in the half space on the right, not centrally, and there's a massive difference between the two.

Here are the heatmaps for his last games for Monaco.

All of them are overwhelmingly dominated by touches of the ball wide on the right. Not quite as wide as he is here, and he roamed more, but they're not the heat maps of a central number 10, because that's not where he played.

He was on the right, coming into that half space between the opposition CB and LB, exactly the spaces he attacks for us, albeit from a wider starting spot.

And what does the man himself say?

"Most of my formation [as a player] I did as a No. 10 but then when I arrived on the second team at Benfica I played a few times on the right side.

"When I went to Monaco, in my first season and my third, last season I played on the right. With the national team mostly I play on the right side​

But sure, Bernardo is wrong, because apparently it's "The biggest Lie ever told".

He might well end up replacing Dave in a few years but so far, Guardiola has shown no intention of putting him in that role, with David Silva missing 15-odd games this season, and Bernardo replacing him in exactly zero of those games, instead staying on the bench or out wide while Gundogan played in David Silva's place.

His actions speak for themselves, and he's not on the verge of switching Bernardo into one of those #8 roles even as back up, and he definitely doesn't need to move there to play well, he's been excellent on the right, and he'll continue to get better next season, left, right or central.

Last edited:
I like Bernardo and think he's done well for us in his first season in the Premier League. He seems like just the type of team player Pep wants at the club and I expect him to be even better next year.

I think this boy's brilliant. Great work ethic and a proper team player but above all, his control is mind blowing. It's like watching one of those velcro catch ball beach games. He never looks like he's going to lose control. Top bloke.

He played centrally up until the age of 19 so I'm sure he can play there. He's been brilliant out wide and was brilliant again tonight, long term he should move more centrally. A better option than Gundogan there for me.
Agree entirely. Better than the rather slow sideways Gundogwan imo

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.