Breaking records/stats thread

I can never understand why when records are discussed, the achievements of (say) the points total of the Liverpool team of the 70s is adjusted upwards to reflect the difference 3 points for a win will make but is not then adjusted again to reflect the fact that they played a 42 game season not a 38 game season. I understand that you are always going to record more points on the basis of 3 points for a win, and it makes sense to make an adjustment for that, but equally you are likely (as the champion team) to record more points if you have a longer season. The BBC for instance seem very keen to make the former adjustment, but not the latter.

I wonder why that is.
Hopefully it won't matter after Sunday. 100 is more than 98.
On the other hand they'll probably convert us back to 2 points for a win which will give us 68 points leaving us second behind Liverpool on alphabetical order!

I can never understand why when records are discussed, the achievements of (say) the points total of the Liverpool team of the 70s is adjusted upwards to reflect the difference 3 points for a win will make but is not then adjusted again to reflect the fact that they played a 42 game season not a 38 game season. I understand that you are always going to record more points on the basis of 3 points for a win, and it makes sense to make an adjustment for that, but equally you are likely (as the champion team) to record more points if you have a longer season. The BBC for instance seem very keen to make the former adjustment, but not the latter.

I wonder why that is.

88.6 points according to my maths. Hardly worth mentioning when our side of 2012 would have bettered them. Hopefully, we'll put that 'record' to bed once and for all on Sunday plus the Spurs 31 match winning 'record' too.

Regarding the goals record, i've just seen on WhoScored that we've scored:

77 goals from open play
15 goals from set pieces (have we scored any direct free kicks in the league this season? Really struggling to recall one)
6 penalties (this is remarkably low)
4 counter attacks
3 own goals

77 open play goals! A team truly built in Pep's image.

77 goals from open play
15 goals from set pieces (have we scored any direct free kicks in the league this season? Really struggling to recall one)
4 counter attacks
3 own goals

Didn't Kev do his free kick under the wall trick again earlier in the season? Might have been in the cup though.

77 goals from open play
4 counter attacks
3 own goals

Kev against Swansea (A) and Southampton (H)

Neither very pretty but both his goals so assume they count as direct free kicks.

Let's not forget the all-time MCFC goals record for a season is 108 achieved in the 1920s and again in 2001-02 (42 and 46 game seasons!). It's something to add to the list of things to aim for. Clearly the current total after 37 games is incredible, but let's go for the all-time too.

Ederson now holds the Guinness World Record for longest drop kick in football. [Instagram/ederson93] https://t.co/APhy6MKj4R

6002aaf74522a9f18c5b2665669f89dd.jpg

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.