Citizens Inheritance - Good idea?

I'm 60, as a kid my parents couldn't afford "pop" and coffee was off everybodys books. My first car was 12/13 years old. My first house was only after I had saved with a building society for 3 years to prove I could repay the mortgage, oh and I still had to find 10% of the asking price. I worked damn hard for everything I now have.
Now every kid drinks coca cola as a right, Starbucks is making millions. A first car is brand new bought on lease finance and a new home is expected and the government to blame for them not getting one. The 10k they will get will be blown on a wedding in the bahamas.

What a stupid idea.
Misty for PM

I saw an article a few years back which actually blamed part of the housing problem on Bridget Jones' (Diary) of all things.
In the article it provided evidence and stats that showed after the release of the film there was a huge upsurge in single females buying property.

The inference was that prior to the film the majority of single females would rent or house share until they found a partner, and then go ahead with them and get on the housing market. After the film, it became considered 'normal/trendy' of them to be single and own their own property.

Absolute garbage of a proposal.

I'm fucking sick of hearing how tough it is for young people like everyone else had it easy. My mum and dad - like everyone else of their generation - had to live in a bedroom at their parents for years whilst saving every penny for a deposit for a mortgage, only to be told "come back next year" every time they went to see the manager of the building society.

When they finally got a house (the one I was born in), we had no carpets until I was old enough to remember us not having carpets. We had no carpet in "the box room" until I was 14 when my nan moved in with us.

We had no fridge, no tv, no washing machine, no phone (landline! let alone mobiles of course which didn't exist), no Sky, no internet, no central heating (of course). The windows froze on the inside every winter. We had no car, my bike was 2nd hand from one of the neighbours. A "treat" was a Vesta Paella on a Saturday. Eating out was something we did maybe once every 3 or 4 years.

And this was deeply impoverished people? No! It was NORMAL. My dad had a good job with Petrocarbon in Sharston and my mum worked as well.

When my Mrs and I got married, we had one chair from a 2nd hand shop and a deck chair for our lounge furniture. Nothing in in the kitchen diner at all. Our cooker was reclaimed from a scrap yard. Our first car - a mini - cost £165 and we literally cried every time it needed an MOT and the work would be tens of pounds to weld up the rust and do the ball joints again.

And yet all I get to hear is how my generation had it easy and how tough it is on young kids who are stuck with an old iPhone 7. Well fuck off.

Last edited:
Absolute garbage of a proposal.

I'm fucking sick of hearing how tough it is for young people like everyone else had it easy. My mum and dad - like everyone else of their generation - had to live in a bedroom at their parents for years whilst saving every penny for a deposit for a mortgage, only to be told "come back next year" every time they went to see the manager of the building society.

When they finally got a house (the one I was born in), we had no carpets until I was old enough to remember us not having carpets. We had no fridge, no tv, no washing machine, no phone (landline! let alone mobiles of course which didn't exist), no Sky, no internet, no car, my bike was 2nd hand from one of the neighbours. A "treat" was a Vesta Paella on a Saturday. Eating out was something we did maybe once every 3 or 4 years.

And this was deeply impoverished people? No! It was NORMAL. My dad had a good job with Petrocarbon in Sharston and my mum worked as well.

When my Mrs and I got married, we had one chair from a 2nd hand shop and a deck chair for our lounge furniture. Nothing in in the kitchen diner at all. Our cooker was reclaimed from a scrap yard. My wife's mini cost £165 and we literally cried every time it needed an MOT and the work would be tens of pounds.

And yet all I get to hear is how my generation had it easy and how tough it is on young kids who are stuck with an old iPhone 7. Well fuck off.

You are lucky. We never even had floor boards we had to balance on the beams.

You are lucky. We never even had floor boards we had to balance on the beams.

I know it sounds like Monty Python's "you were lucky" sketch, but really my point isn't that "I had it tough". It's that "this is normal".

People were fucking skint for years when they left school and started work. People nowadays have so much opportunity with the internet and the ability to find work anywhere.

I am not saying it isn't tough. It always has been.

when I got my first house for £17 500 the interest rate was horrific everything in the house except the beds were second hand.shortly after I moved in I broke my leg and was off work 6 months and the boiler went.did I get a pay out did I fuck!!!! we froze until I got back to work..my mum and dad didn't have a pot to piss in so there was no bank of mum and dad either.our generation just sucked it up and played the cards we were dealt if you keep your head down eventually things work out.nobody should be given something for nothing as it destroys their work ethic.

However yours is a fortunate position which is very much not the norm which I think is what Willetts wants to address. The report wants to get away from the privilege of having the bank of Mum and Dad and to try and skew things more in the benefit of the young to stop their disillusion with society and disenfranchisement with politics.
So families that do well for themselves shouldn’t be helping out their kids and those that don’t give a fuck should get a helping hand, seems fair

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.