Citizens Inheritance - Good idea?

Absolute garbage of a proposal.

I'm fucking sick of hearing how tough it is for young people like everyone else had it easy. My mum and dad - like everyone else of their generation - had to live in a bedroom at their parents for years whilst saving every penny for a deposit for a mortgage, only to be told "come back next year" every time they went to see the manager of the building society.

When they finally got a house (the one I was born in), we had no carpets until I was old enough to remember us not having carpets. We had no carpet in "the box room" until I was 14 when my nan moved in with us.

We had no fridge, no tv, no washing machine, no phone (landline! let alone mobiles of course which didn't exist), no Sky, no internet, no central heating (of course). The windows froze on the inside every winter. We had no car, my bike was 2nd hand from one of the neighbours. A "treat" was a Vesta Paella on a Saturday. Eating out was something we did maybe once every 3 or 4 years.

And this was deeply impoverished people? No! It was NORMAL. My dad had a good job with Petrocarbon in Sharston and my mum worked as well.

When my Mrs and I got married, we had one chair from a 2nd hand shop and a deck chair for our lounge furniture. Nothing in in the kitchen diner at all. Our cooker was reclaimed from a scrap yard. Our first car - a mini - cost £165 and we literally cried every time it needed an MOT and the work would be tens of pounds to weld up the rust and do the ball joints again.

And yet all I get to hear is how my generation had it easy and how tough it is on young kids who are stuck with an old iPhone 7. Well fuck off.

Very well said - what you describe was simply the way of life for so many who recognised the need to work hard to achieve things.

There is a deep sense of entitlement growing in the attitudes of some of the youth of today IMO

My friend sold their house in London, a two up two down in an okay part of Lewisham for 200k in 2013.They had a flat before that for 50k just round the corner. House would now be 650k and flat 280k. They would have no chance now of getting that flat assuming the same job/wages. 10k would not help them either

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.