The Boxing thread

Was really sad to see one of my heroes go out in that way. Followed Haye since the early days and man has he had a brilliant career and some brilliant nights. Father Time waits for no man.

He’s been shot for years now and the fights with euro level plodder bellew were the only viable cash out fights for him.

Read a post on a boxing forum that really struck a chord with me. The gist of it was that he had to sell his soul to bellew to earn his last big paydays even though he knew that his body was so fucked that he had no chance of winning. Handing that gobshite bragging rights for ever and having casuals remember him largely for those two defeats is a big price for a proud man to have to pay and took courage in itself.

In his pomp haye would’ve made easy work of bellew and destroyed him quickly with his dazzling speed and brutal ko power in both hands.

Sad week in a way saying goodbye to the ghost of David Haye on Saturday and bidding farewell to Yaya on Wednesday

Haye will return and chase the WBA 'Regular' I reckon...

Lomachenko fights Linares in NY at the wkd. As tough as Jorge is can only see one outcome. Week after Selby v Warrington at Elland Rd. Hope Selby does a number on him.

Have developed a lot of interest in boxing recently. One thing I wanted to develop a better understanding of, was the weight divisions. I am surprised after reading on wikipedia: ( https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Weight_class_(boxing)) that there are so many, and the difference can be just one or two kilos. To me that makes little sense. Why not have only 2/3 of the current weight divisions? beyond 2-3 kilos at the lower weights should not make much difference.

Have developed a lot of interest in boxing recently. One thing I wanted to develop a better understanding of, was the weight divisions. I am surprised after reading on wikipedia: ( https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Weight_class_(boxing)) that there are so many, and the difference can be just one or two kilos. To me that makes little sense. Why not have only 2/3 of the current weight divisions? beyond 2-3 kilos at the lower weights should not make much difference.

It does seem strange that in some of the lower weight classes, a good shit and you could drop a weight class

Even such a small difference in weight can have a big effect on a fight.

Currently one of the P4P greats is Lomachenko but when he came up against Salido in his second fight at 126, Salido came in 128 1/2 lbs, and then on fight was a full 11lbs heavier than Lomachenko, if you ignore the constant low blows the ref let him get away with there is no doubt weight was the biggest factor in the only defeat on Lomas record.

Personally Im starting to come round to the idea of a super heavyweight division like in the Olympics for fighters over 250lbs, its ridiculous you can have Jarrell Miller weighing in over 300lbs and just a week later Bellew scales in at 216lbs in the same division.

The Hearn deal seems a big 1 with all the money involved. IF he can sign a few from Golden Boy or Top Rank they could well be going places. Think it is all good for fighters out there now. I really hope it goes well for him over there. I think he needs 1 or 2 top signings in certain areas of the states to get them going. So trying to get them from the likes of Top Rank and Golden Boy might be a hard thing straight away.

A mate of mine fought at featherweight (9st) as a pro. I've asked him about this myself. He says he would have struggled massively to get down to super bantam (8st 10) but that super feathers (9st 4) would have been too big for him.

Lomachenko fights Linares in NY at the wkd. As tough as Jorge is can only see one outcome. Week after Selby v Warrington at Elland Rd. Hope Selby does a number on him.

Can't see anything other than a Loma masterclass. But will be interesting to see how he looks at the higher weight.

There's something about Warrington that really grates on me. Not sure exactly what it is. Hope Selby puts in a big performance, he's due his big night.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.