Blues at the World Cup

Who are his other choices? (re: Gundogan)

Goretzka, Kroos, Khedira, Rudy... even Ozil, given Ilkay hasn’t really shone as a DM for us so may not be considered for that role.

He may go, but he is not a lock like Sane. I like him a lot but haven’t been convinced by his performances this season. He has been equal parts brilliant and invisible, with a fairly consistent soft-touch throughout. Keep in mind I am not one of those “blood and thunder” midfield apologists, so I don’t want him going studs first in to every challenge (it’s not Pep’s way, anyway), but he doesn’t seem to like challenging for the ball in general and he has a tendency (as of late) to be indecisive, both on the edge of the opposition box and ours.

I just can’t imagine he has impressed Löw that much over the last half of the season. Could be wrong, though.

Brazil: Ederson, Danilo, Fernandinho, Gabriel Jesus (confirmed)
Germany: Gündogan, Sané (confirmed provisional 27 man squad)
Portugal: Bernardo Silva (confirmed provisional)
Argentina: Otamendi, Agüero (confirmed provisional)

England: Sterling, Stones, Walker (Dead certs), Delph (possible), Gunn (outside chance)
Spain: Silva (Dead cert)
Belgium: De Bruyne, Kompany (Dead certs), Jason Denayer (outside chance)
France: Mendy (Probable), Laporte (Possible)

Is he still a City player?

No way Gunn is going instead of Pickford, Butland or Pope. Mainly for the lack of Permier League experience (however unfairly). Maybe the next one in four years time, alongside Phil Foden hopefully.

Goretzka, Kroos, Khedira, Rudy... even Ozil, given Ilkay hasn’t really shone as a DM for us so may not be considered for that role.

He may go, but he is not a lock like Sane. I like him a lot but haven’t been convinced by his performances this season. He has been equal parts brilliant and invisible, with a fairly consistent soft-touch throughout. Keep in mind I am not one of those “blood and thunder” midfield apologists, so I don’t want him going studs first in to every challenge (it’s not Pep’s way, anyway), but he doesn’t seem to like challenging for the ball in general and he has a tendency (as of late) to be indecisive, both on the edge of the opposition box and ours.

I just can’t imagine he has impressed Löw that much over the last half of the season. Could be wrong, though.

Cheers mate. I honestly had no idea who his competition was. Ozil doesn't deserve to go IMO.

updated:

England (prov): Stones, Sterling, Delph, Walker, ̶H̶a̶r̶t̶, Gunn
Argentina (prov): Aguero, Otamendi
Brazil (prov): Jesus, Fernandinho, Ederson, Danilo
Portugal (prov): B Silva
Spain (TBA): D Silva
France (TBA): Mendy
Belgium (TBA): De Bruyne, Kompany, Denayer

who else? any of the on loan lads?

Cheers mate. I honestly had no idea who his competition was. Ozil doesn't deserve to go IMO.
Absolutely agree with you there. If anything, that may be what saves Ilkay.

Though, it may also be a case of invested parties (endorsements) choosing which fringe player goes, unfortunately, as has happened with England, France, and Holland in the past. Adidas may, through back channels, demand that Ozil go.

Last edited:

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.