Why Arteta but not Vieira?

I suppose they think that in strengthening themselves they'll also be weakening us.

I always thought that Arteta may be a natural replacement when Pep finally goes but if this is the thinking we have just lost 2 years of development.

I'm not happy about this at all.

I know a bird in the hand is worth two at the bar etc but I really don't understand Arteta's logic in considering the Arsenal job.
There's some serious rebuilding to be done there - and it will need to be done with very little money (relatively speaking) to the satisfaction of a largely petulant fan base.
As much, as we all hope otherwise, there is nothing in Pep's track record to suggest that he will be staying on for more than another say, three years. When that sad day arrives, Arteta would surely be a very strong candidate for the job here. He'd be taking over a remarkable side, many of whom would be atthat peak of their powers. Sure, there'd be a rebuild to be done here too - but, crucially, it will most likely be done from a position of strength. At worst, he'd be a shoo in to retain the no. 2 spot or would still have the same sort of opportunities available to him elsewhere as Arsenal are offering today.
I know which position I would rather inherit.
Yes but one of them you actually can inherit and the other isn't remotely available and you have no idea when it will be, or if they'd be interested in you when it does become available.

No one is going to turn down the managers job at Arsenal as their first managerial job, that's winning the lottery.

I always thought that Arteta may be a natural replacement when Pep finally goes but if this is the thinking we have just lost 2 years of development.

Why? If it turns out he is a good manager who we'd want as Peps successor then we can just take him off Arsenal when Pep leaves.

I know a bird in the hand is worth two at the bar etc but I really don't understand Arteta's logic in considering the Arsenal job.
There's some serious rebuilding to be done there - and it will need to be done with very little money (relatively speaking) to the satisfaction of a largely petulant fan base.
As much, as we all hope otherwise, there is nothing in Pep's track record to suggest that he will be staying on for more than another say, three years. When that sad day arrives, Arteta would surely be a very strong candidate for the job here. He'd be taking over a remarkable side, many of whom would be atthat peak of their powers. Sure, there'd be a rebuild to be done here too - but, crucially, it will most likely be done from a position of strength. At worst, he'd be a shoo in to retain the no. 2 spot or would still have the same sort of opportunities available to him elsewhere as Arsenal are offering today.
I know which position I would rather inherit.

But if the Arse want a modern-minded coach from the Spanish stable they would come knocking on Arteta's door. And I would be certain that Arteta would make it clear that the job in the first couple fo seasons would be no more than a rebuild. Back in the top four initially, but that's no certainty, and a tilt at the title in the third or fourth year. And the skinflints in Islington might see it as a very affordable option!

Well Pep's here for another 10, so we have time for multiple replacements ;-)

Perhaps Arteta knows something we don't? Maybe that something is that Pep plans on sticking around for the foreseeable...

Perhaps Arteta knows something we don't? Maybe that something is that Pep plans on sticking around for the foreseeable...
I'd like to think you are right but I won't be getting my hopes up. It could be something as simple he or his wife missing London, too. Or maybe, he knows that Pep's successor has already been earmarked - and he's not in the frame.
As I said earlier, I think it might be a bit of a poison chalice, this job (think Moyes at Utd) but I can certainly understand his considering it. He owes that much to his family, at the very least and as @BigOscar says, the Arsenal job ain't chopped liver, either.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.