If Liverpool or United achieved the same results, there would be no debate

Yup - but if your metric is - win if you can, but whatever you do, don't lose, then Arsenal's record moves to the forefront.

I agree that we're the better side - but an argument can be made for Arsenal.

The problem with this is that words like 'greatest' and 'better' are subjective terms. And when something is subjective that means different things to different people. Paul Merson for instance was asked whether going undefeated throughout a season was a greater achievement than 100 points. Unsurprisingly he said 'yes'. Somebody who hadn't played for Arsenal might say differently. You probably agree with me that you can go unbeaten throughout the season and only just avoid relegation whereas there is no season in PL history where 100 points wouldn't have seen you win the league by a distance, so the 100 points is the greater achievement - the greatest achievement in fact because nobody has ever done it before. But you can bet your bottom dollar that a whole load of Arsenal fans - all of them probably - would not agree.

The problem with this is that words like 'greatest' and 'better' are subjective terms. And when something is subjective that means different things to different people. Paul Merson for instance was asked whether going undefeated throughout a season was a greater achievement than 100 points. Unsurprisingly he said 'yes'. Somebody who hadn't played for Arsenal might say differently. You probably agree with me that you can go unbeaten throughout the season and only just avoid relegation whereas there is no season in PL history where 100 points wouldn't have seen you win the league by a distance, so the 100 points is the greater achievement - the greatest achievement in fact because nobody has ever done it before. But you can bet your bottom dollar that a whole load of Arsenal fans - all of them probably - would not agree.
Yup - it's totally subjective.

And - in spite of my being a City fanatic - there is a point for those favoring Arsenal as having had the best season ever in the PL as you've noted.

Anyhow - I think our season was especially fantastic because we played an exciting, attacking brand of football, which numerous pundits claimed could not work in the PL. We went against conventional wisdom, proving pundits wrong, garnering the most points ever, most goals scored, and winning by the largest margin.

I don't see how an argument can be made for Arsenal...

If both the invincible and centurion seasons happened in the same season, who would be credited as being the best team? Or who would be credited as having the most impressive season?

I don't see how an argument can be made for Arsenal...

If both the invincible and centurion seasons happened in the same season, who would be credited as being the best team? Or who would be credited as having the most impressive season?
Paul Mersin disagrees

I hardly ever read the sports sections, these days. There's fuck all about football.
It's all gossip and personalities and someone's opinion on what if's.
In a nutshell.
What the press don't realise is by going for the big recently successful (over 50 years) clubs, the fans of Newcastle, Villa and other bigger clubs that have not recently been succesful have stopped reading the sports press. They try everything to attract clicks from the succesful clubs with larger current fanbases - mostly drivel - anything to atract them - but it just acelerstes the process of turning everyone else away.
They know their readership is falling, but they don't realise why.

Last edited:
They can't really use the argument of the League being poor this year.

You could throw a cap over 2nd to 5th, which ordinarily would've been a breathtaking end to the season.

If anything it shows that these teams performed to their max, predominantly equal, with one other just way, way better.

Stand out like the b****cks on a bulldog

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.