Media Thread 2017/18

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just more fake news. If the league is so poor how did media darlings United lose 20 points to teams outside the top six? How did the team in fourth place reach a Champions League final but also lose 19 points to teams outside the top six?
This is just the latest false narrative to try and undermine City.

Yes, I think ESPN should think carefully about who it gets to write its analyses next season because the author of that article clearly watched a different season to the rest of us. This season has been at least as competitive as any other PL season in all but one respect and that is, of course, that the champions are the greatest English top flight team ever. The gap of 19 points to second is the greatest ever and the champions total of 100 points is a clear record, but from second down to bottom there is less of a gap than there was, in for instance the 2016-17 season. United got 81 points to WBA's 31: in 2016-7 Spurs were second with 86 points while Sunderland were bottom with only 24. The gap between 6th and 17th this season was 27 (63 to 36) compared to 29 last season (69 to 40). The lower number of points amassed shows a more even competition since no side (apart from the champions) is winning all the time. And an analysis of results in detail confirms this: United lost away to all three promoted sides, one of which finished in 15th place and one in 16th, they could only manage a draw at relegated Stoke and Southampton took a point away from OT and would have had 3 but for some dubious refereeing. The team of the year for many, Liverpool, lost at relegated Swansea and drew both matches against bottom team WBA (and lost at Anfield to them in the FA cup). So, at least as interesting as any other PL season and anyone who can describe a season in which one team breaks the record for ... (enter any record which comes to mind) ... "as amongst the most forgettable in the 26 editions of the Premier League" really has to be a knuckle head who deserves a very special form of certification.

On a very different note, it has just been reported that Sky (robbing bastards of this parish, allegedly of course) TV here in NZ might lose their rights soon for the Premier league. Why is this relevant? It used to be that the world of football revolved around the various teams in red. Not any more, we (quite rightly) got top billing and came first. It might be a small thing but it all helps!

It means that football fans who want to follow the likes of Manchester City, Manchester United, Chelsea, Liverpool and Arsenal - as well as Chris Wood at Burnley - may have to sign up to Spark's service from next year onwards

Strange that I don't recall anyone saying that the level of competition in the Premier League was shit in 1999-2000 when the rags won it by 18 points. Or when they won 13 of the first 21 Premier Leagues.

As for Swansea I seem to recall them beating Liverpool and Arsenal and drawing at Spurs while rock bottom West Brom won at United, beat Spurs and drew home and away at Liverpool and knocked them out of the FA Cup at Klanfield. Poor old Stoke, who nobody feared any more, beat Arsenal, drew at Liverpool and at home to United.
Somehow also managed to omit the fact that the mighty rags lost to all three promoted sides.

Yes, I think ESPN should think carefully about who it gets to write its analyses next season because the author of that article clearly watched a different season to the rest of us. This season has been at least as competitive as any other PL season in all but one respect and that is, of course, that the champions are the greatest English top flight team ever. The gap of 19 points to second is the greatest ever and the champions total of 100 points is a clear record, but from second down to bottom there is less of a gap than there was, in for instance the 2016-17 season. United got 81 points to WBA's 31: in 2016-7 Spurs were second with 86 points while Sunderland were bottom with only 24. The gap between 6th and 17th this season was 27 (63 to 36) compared to 29 last season (69 to 40). The lower number of points amassed shows a more even competition since no side (apart from the champions) is winning all the time. And an analysis of results in detail confirms this: United lost away to all three promoted sides, one of which finished in 15th place and one in 16th, they could only manage a draw at relegated Stoke and Southampton took a point away from OT and would have had 3 but for some dubious refereeing. The team of the year for many, Liverpool, lost at relegated Swansea and drew both matches against bottom team WBA (and lost at Anfield to them in the FA cup). So, at least as interesting as any other PL season and anyone who can describe a season in which one team breaks the record for ... (enter any record which comes to mind) ... "as amongst the most forgettable in the 26 editions of the Premier League" really has to be a knuckle head who deserves a very special form of certification.

Plus 1

I’ve just been watching us at home to red dippers - highlights only recorded last night.

This was the sending off of Mane for attempted GBH

Neville was still adamant it wasn’t even a yellow at the end of the game; the commentary didn’t mention Eddie once - even when stretchered off with oxygen bag on his face that were whinging about the red card

Tyler’s final comment was “well; for the moment at least, City go top in fortuitous circumstances”

.... and the rest, as they say, is history !!!

does anyone know if there will be a torrent or download links for all the games from this season posted here ? I was told to ask here. I cant make a thread though. If this is the wrong place could someone tell me what thread to ask ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.