Ian Curtis-32 years On

Still one of my favourite tunes by anyone. Don't forget Ian was a blue!

Two things:

1) I’ve generalky found I don’t like people that don’t like them.

2) To truly digest and appreciate JD you have to listen to each song track by track. Preferably on multiple sittings.

I am a New Order fan rather than Joy Division. Have always wondered how things would have turned out if he had lived.

because I thought he was rubbish so was interested to find out what people saw in him.

Now put your bottom lip back in good lad.
Each to their own mate some people listen to radio 1 and actually think Katie Perry and Mylie Cyrus make good music. Joy Division made music that I guess was an acquired taste. Sometimes dark and depressing, so I can understand some people not feeling it. However, whether the music is to your taste or not, if you can appreciate real music, I think you must be able to see he was talented. Ian Curtis was rubbish?

He died before I was born but Joy Division are one of my favourite bands. RIP Ian Curtis.

because I thought he was rubbish so was interested to find out what people saw in him.

Now put your bottom lip back in good lad.

He wasn’t the most talented singer, but his lyrics were the appeal for me as a musician myself. Found Joy Division as a teenager whilst I was going through a rough time and Curtis’ lyrics resonated with me even to this day. Such as;

“I walked up to the edge of no escape and laughed, I’ve lost control again.”

“Existence well what does it matter? I exist on the best terms I can. The past is now part of my future, the present is well out of hand.”

Obviously he was depressed and struggling to deal with a lot of things, and the way that he painted his situation for all to see through his lyrics without anyone making a big deal was something I found fascinating. A very interesting man.

Totally entiteled to your opinion mate

I agree!

Two things:

1) I’ve generalky found I don’t like people that don’t like them.

I'd look past weather people appreciate JD as a factor in their humanity, you're alienating the vast majority of the planet being your friend by doing so.

2) To truly digest and appreciate JD you have to listen to each song track by track. Preferably on multiple sittings.

I have, or at least until my ears could take no more.
I trained as as an Audio Engineer and I still don't hear it.

Each to their own mate some people listen to radio 1 and actually think Katie Perry and Mylie Cyrus make good music. Joy Division made music that I guess was an acquired taste. Sometimes dark and depressing, so I can understand some people not feeling it.

You're absolutely right. I've been a New Order fan all my life and I like The Cure during the early 80's who many compared with JD but who I found much more interesting sonically. I'm also a big fan of Syd Barretts solo albums and a lot of people think they're terrible.

So its all about personal taste. I haven't a clue why people get so upset because they have a different opinion.

However, whether the music is to your taste or not, if you can appreciate real music, I think you must be able to see he was talented.

I do appreciate real music but see a lot more talented musicians every month.

He did stand out from the crowd at the time by looking like a dead fish and having a silly dance so +1 for that.

Ian Curtis was rubbish?

Yes.

He wasn’t the most talented singer, but his lyrics were the appeal for me as a musician myself. Found Joy Division as a teenager whilst I was going through a rough time and Curtis’ lyrics resonated with me even to this day. Such as;

“I walked up to the edge of no escape and laughed, I’ve lost control again.”

“Existence well what does it matter? I exist on the best terms I can. The past is now part of my future, the present is well out of hand.”

Obviously he was depressed and struggling to deal with a lot of things, and the way that he painted his situation for all to see through his lyrics without anyone making a big deal was something I found fascinating. A very interesting man.

Hi lyrics are no better than what a lot of young men would write if they could bother writing them down.

I agree!

I'd look past weather people appreciate JD as a factor in their humanity, you're alienating the vast majority of the planet being your friend by doing so.

You're absolutely right. I've been a New Order fan all my life and I like The Cure during the early 80's who many compared with JD but who I found much more interesting sonically. I'm also a big fan of Syd Barretts solo albums and a lot of people think they're terrible.

So its all about personal taste. I haven't a clue why people get so upset because they have a different opinion.

I do appreciate real music but see a lot more talented musicians every month.

He did stand out from the crowd at the time by looking like a dead fish and having a silly dance so +1 for that.

Yes.

Hi lyrics are no better than what a lot of young men would write if they could bother writing them down.
Well at least, in my opinion, you know fuck all about Joy Division

"A factor in their humanity" Check you out. It's 'whether' by the way ;-)

What's that got to do with anything? Just wanted to drop that in? :-D

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.