Fernando
Willy Caballero
Bruno Zucilini
Eliaquim Mangala
Frank Lampard
Wilfried Bony

Summer 2016
Key interview word: 'improve'

Listened to a few of the interviews again and sense he's already learned his lesson. The transfer dealings of the last windows 4 (?) windows now look like a coherent, long-term plan, rather than the ad hoc response to events of previous times, and that bodes well for us. Heaven help the rest, though.

muffin or barm should be only thing on his mind after the season we have had

Good mix of being a fan and participating in the decisions that matter.

He has learned from the past mistakes in supporting a transfer policy doomed for failure in terms of making us best placed ahead of the pack each season.

It's a nice tradition.

Always good to see how the season has been received in AD.

Churlish perhaps to say that they should never have had to learn those particular post title winning lessons but we can't change the past.

Summer 2012
Key interview word: 'strengthen'
Jack Rodwell
Richard Wright
Scott Sinclair
Maicon
Natija Nastasic
Javi Garcia

Summer 2014
Key interview word: 'strengthen'
Bacary Sagna
Fernando
Willy Caballero
Bruno Zucilini
Eliaquim Mangala
Frank Lampard
Wilfried Bony

Summer 2016
Key interview word: 'improve'

Listened to a few of the interviews again and sense he's already learned his lesson. The transfer dealings of the last windows 4 (?) windows now look like a coherent, long-term plan, rather than the ad hoc response to events of previous times, and that bodes well for us. Heaven help the rest, though.

I was thinking along the same lines when I watched the interview.

Fergurson always used to say the best time to buy is when you've just won the league. The top players want to join you, it stops existing players resting on their laurels, and it's demotivating for rivals when they see the champions strengthening even further.

We had a great opportunity to do that in 2012 and 2014 and instead we bought a load of average squad players than in the main were of a lower standard than the existing first team.

Taking 2012 and 2014 in to account, you would say if we'd "learned our lesson" then we should go big and buy 3 or 4 world class players this summer and really push on for dominance. But the reality is, if you look at our squad, where is the room for improvement? It's difficult.

I don't really think it's possible to find players better than our first choice goalkeeper, full backs, centre halves, number 8s, wingers and centre forwards.

The only holes in the squad that I can see are a back up for Fernandinho and a back up for Sané - a winger who can play on the left and inside. After that, I genuinely can't see where it's possible to improve.

I'd say it's going to be one from each section:

Number 6:
Fred
Jorginho
Weigl

Winger / Forward:
Mahrez
Zaha
Bailey
Hazard
(Greiszmann would be the dream, but I don't think it's feasible)

I was thinking along the same lines when I watched the interview.

Fergurson always used to say the best time to buy is when you've just won the league. The top players want to join you, it stops existing players resting on their laurels, and it's demotivating for rivals when they see the champions strengthening even further.

We had a great opportunity to do that in 2012 and 2014 and instead we bought a load of average squad players than in the main were of a lower standard than the existing first team.

Taking 2012 and 2014 in to account, you would say if we'd "learned our lesson" then we should go big and buy 3 or 4 world class players this summer and really push on for dominance. But the reality is, if you look at our squad, where is the room for improvement? It's difficult.

I don't really think it's possible to find players better than our first choice goalkeeper, full backs, centre halves, number 8s, wingers and centre forwards.

The only holes in the squad that I can see are a back up for Fernandinho and a back up for Sané - a winger who can play on the left and inside. After that, I genuinely can't see where it's possible to improve.

I'd say it's going to be one from each section:

Number 6:
Fred
Jorginho
Weigl

Winger / Forward:
Mahrez
Zaha
Bailey
Hazard
(Greiszmann would be the dream, but I don't think it's feasible)

Quite a list! :-)

I think we can still improve not only in replacements but also in what is extracted from those present. I remember 2012-2013 and that feeling when one of Silva/Nasri/Toure was out that we simply dropped a level, sometimes two or three, in their absence. The gulf was as evident to those on the pitch as it was to those watching. Even now, take Silva out of the midfield and to me we look far less potent. In that respect, I think that we'll want to see marked improvements in other players next season (e.g. Bernardo and Gundogan) and have them put increased pressure on de Bruyne and Silva.

For what it's worth, not much I concede, if shopping I'd take 2 to 3 out of de Ligt, de Jong, Jorginho, Mahrez. I'd settle for the first three.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.