New Kits 2018/19

The new Barca shirt is almost a good one but the whole kit is an abomination - you should have heard my fashion conscious daughter last night, who rightly, imo, pointed out that the use of a different blue for the shorts and socks to the shirt is a dreadful idea. I actually prefer the shades used on the socks but using a bit of it on the neck of the shirt doesn't work well.
Agreed, the overall design is awful.

The treatment of the sleeves, though, illustrates that there was no reason they needed to use the darker stitching for that awful ‘audiowave’ pattern on our shirt—they could have easily made it a subtle embossing and tried to match the overall thread colour to the main body of the shirt.

Instead we got three shades of blue and a base sleeve colour that can only be described as sea foam green’s idiot cousin.

Agreed, the overall design is awful.

The treatment of the sleeves, though, illustrates that there was no reason they needed to use the darker stitching for that awful ‘audiowave’ pattern on our shirt—they could have easily made it a subtle embossing and tried to match the overall thread colour to the main body of the shirt.

Instead we got three shades of blue and a base sleeve colour that can only be described as sea foam green’s idiot cousin.

I also haven't seen anyone else with that shite button

I also haven't seen anyone else with that shite button
On a neck that already looks like a toddler has been hanging off it for a few hours during a NHS “take your child to work” event.

Why would anyone need to unbutton it to make it more spacious? Are we signing the Hulk or current real Ronaldo?

I still think the entire affair looks like a fancy sport branded surgical shirt.

Just bought the new one for my daughter's birthday. Will let you know what she thinks!

I think the third kit is a prime example of what I was explaining, actually. For the past few seasons the third kit has been exactly the same (no exaggeration) as every other Nike outfitted club, just with a different colourway. Now, all of Nike’s clubs generally get the same home and away templates, of course, but they do change the collar or sleeves or main body pattern (or all of them) to differentiate a bit from kit to kit (though, even that plays to my assertion, as Nike creates templates that can be manufactured at extremely large scale no matter the slight variation). But the third kits are not changed at all save the fabric dye and printing accent colours. We were the same as Barca, Roma, Chelsea, etc. We even looked almost identical to Chelsea in every way because they had black and we had a dark green that in most light looked black.

As I said, designers jobs these days are more production management than creative endeavour, as sad is that is to we supporters looking for a little artistic license and unique wares.
You didn’t though. You said that shirts have to be just different enough to warrant fans buying one each year. I agree with your point about template kits but you only wrote that after I pointed out our hugely different 3rd shirts year on year.

You didn’t though. You said that shirts have to be just different enough to warrant fans buying one each year. I agree with your point about template kits but you only wrote that after I pointed out our hugely different 3rd shirts year on year.
My original post was about the home shirt (and still included the base assertion that modern kit design is more about production management than creative pursuits), then you spoke about the third kits (perfectly legitimate point), and @BJL_City and I responded to that, with my reply explaining why I thought the third shirt actually still supports my assertion, just in a different way (i.e. while our third kits were different year on year, as you point out, they are actually nearly identical to every other Nike outfitted club within that year; again, production management).

My original post was about the home shirt (and still included the base assertion that modern kit design is more about production management than creative pursuits), then you spoke about the third kits (perfectly legitimate point), and @BJL_City and I responded to that, with my reply explaining why I thought the third shirt actually still supports my assertion, just in a different way (i.e. while our third kits were different year on year, as you point out, they are actually nearly identical to every other Nike outfitted club within that year; again, production management).
Fair enough. That Nike version of the Kappa away is stunning though.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.