Northern Rail

I have had the misfortune of travelling through the station at Manchester Airport a few times recently. I have simply given up and will in the future be driving and parking instead. On Friday, as I queued to buy my ticket, there were a number of helpful staff on hand to aid and direct those in need of assistance (i.e. part with their money) but that's where the positive ends. On reaching the platform it becomes apparent that all the train information monitors are out of action. People seem to be waiting at the beginning of the nearest platform, folk from all over the world muttering amongst themselves. There are no rail employees to be seen and the only tannoy messages seem to be about security - no actual usable information. On checking my National Rail app, my train has been cancelled - the usual 'no train staff available' excuse - so I look for other routes. Should I go to Piccadilly and risk the mayhem of platform 14 on a Friday rush hour or gamble that the next train will arrive - I choose the latter. A 45 minute wait (would have been quicker and cheaper via the tram, oh well) so I proceed to the sunshine at the end of the platform. I notice a Trans Pennine Express employee cowering in the corner of that cubicle thing as I pass by, poor fella.

About ten minutes later a train turns up on platform 4. Is this the 19:29 to Piccadilly? The phone app says there's one due at that time. I could catch this and go via Metrolink to Radcliffe, if it is. No screens, no tannoy, the driver is accosted by a group of inquiring passengers. It isn't the train I thought it could be, that one is now, simply, 'delayed', and this one stands silently, taunting and teasing the waiting customers. A muscle-bound gentleman is taking on security, pleading with him to look at his phone, desperate for news on the train that he says should be here, right now, but isn't. "I'm just security" says the man. A French lady with her entourage is listening intently but gives a gallic shrug. We're all French today.

I pin my hopes on the 20:02 to Southport. Currently on time, my phone says. Some more trains arrive, as does the tannoy announcer. He has a jolly voice and there's laughter in the background, which doesn't help matters but at least people seem to be going somewhere now. My train appears, exactly at the time my app changes to say 'arrival 20:11', it leaves at 20:14 and is still scheduled to arrive at my destination at its scheduled 20:45 slot. Optimistic to say the least and eventually impossible when we sit at Oxford Road for 15 minutes whilst we "await train crew".

My destination is reached at 21:15. 21 miles and two hours travelling.

What must our overseas guests think of us.

And then they get to see Piccadilly Gardens when they finally reach town.

The problem is we are the North. As far as the people who matter in this country are concerned, we are just another colony like Northern Ireland, Wales and Scotland and they can foist any old shit on us. The difference is at least the other "colonies" have devolved government.

I am tempted to blame the Tories, but that's too easy. I'm not sure that (in this matter) Labour are any better. Both the major parties are too London-centric.

This explains why (among other things) we get shit trains like the Pacers and the wholly inadequate Metrolink. If anyone thinks that the Pacers would be tolerated if they were running from Marylebone to Aylesbury, well, you're kidding yourself. But this sort of shit is deemed good enough for the sweaty peasants in the North.

The problem is we are the North. As far as the people who matter in this country are concerned, we are just another colony like Northern Ireland, Wales and Scotland and they can foist any old shit on us. The difference is at least the other "colonies" have devolved government.

I am tempted to blame the Tories, but that's too easy. I'm not sure that (in this matter) Labour are any better. Both the major parties are too London-centric.

This explains why (among other things) we get shit trains like the Pacers and the wholly inadequate Metrolink. If anyone thinks that the Pacers would be tolerated if they were running from Marylebone to Aylesbury, well, you're kidding yourself. But this sort of shit is deemed good enough for the sweaty peasants in the North.
Scant consolation given the levels of current incompetence,but the pacers will very soon be gone(definitely this time)

NR have 98 brand new trains arriving to coincide,hopefully the operator will have its act together by then.

They really are an abomination of a company who need stripping of the franchise, they treat customers with contempt and the only area they seem to be proactive is the ever increasing number of revenue protection goons at their stations. Everything about them is third rate and thanks to Grayling and co are never held to account.
This could be said of most train operating companies if today's news is correct.
The bidding process is simple:
Tell the stock and staff planners to put together a timetable which is legal but has absolutely no margin for error and submit a bid based on a timetable less robust than Swansea's defence.

Another attempt to polish the turd that is rail travel fails............... are we surprised? No. Of course its all the problem of the East Coast mainline and will all be rectified as soon as they can get that back into private hands..............despite the fact that issues were elsewhere

They all need stripping of their franchises. The money saved not giving it away to shareholders, can be spent on training and appointing more divers.

Was in Nuremberg earlier this month. Driverless trains. Running on time. Plenty of screens to tell you what’s going where and when it’s due. In German and English. Train me were modern, clean and tidy.

Different world to the shit I have to put up with here.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.