Water

Don't understand water wastage and losses.
Water is a closed cycle. We have the same amount as we had a million years ago and will still be the same in another million years
Yes but 99% of water on the planet is in the seas or not suitable for human consumption.

Of the 1% left, 68% of that is locked in glaciers and the ice caps.

Only 0.3% of water is in the river, stream and lake systems.

The human population however has increased 100 fold in the last 200 years.

It's quite difficult,and expensive, to detect and repair leaks.
Excavation,repair,reinstatement,road closures etc etc.
So the answer is to force,(eventually),meters for eveyone through,and make us pay for the water companies neglect.
Hold on. There was neglect under the old Local Water Board system and there was neglect under the privatised companies, tho there is somewhat less now.
BUT there is an Ofwat policy called the sustainable economic leak level, or some such bollux. This means that, if the repair costs more than any environmental damage, water companies are not allowed to repair. So there will always be leaks. If you object to this, apply to Ofwat, not the water cos.

During the dry summer of 76 we had droughts and post that there was a plan to run huge mains from where the water was plentiful - say Kielder - to the drier areas like the South East. However that was going to be costly and would be a huge cost on the books of utilities that someone wanted to privatise so it never happened. Another triumph for UK governmental short termism but as someone who lives @ 70 miles south of Kielder water I am ok with the status quo

Hold on. There was neglect under the old Local Water Board system and there was neglect under the privatised companies, tho there is somewhat less now.
BUT there is an Ofwat policy called the sustainable economic leak level, or some such bollux. This means that, if the repair costs more than any environmental damage, water companies are not allowed to repair. So there will always be leaks. If you object to this, apply to Ofwat, not the water cos.

who set up Ofwat and who set their terms of reference? Government.

Now the water industry and the Government are planning to set daily usages targets for us all as we simply waste water and take it for granted they say.

Listening to the reports it seems the industry wants everybody on water meters so they can charge more and they admit to leaks losing enough water to supply the needs of 20m people per day - thats a third of the population FFS !!

Lets make a deal - they fix the leaks and I will only use the short flush on my bog - until they keep wasting water to that insane degree why should we be lectured by them about water saving?
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/uk-england-tyne-4
I cant see any logic in what your saying. Or have I just had too many beers in the sun this afternoon? Because there are leaks out of which water is being lost and this annoys you, you are going to use what you want instead of what you need? And people being on water meters means they can charge more?
Im sorry, I dont follow that.

Does not alter the facts...sometimes it's cheaper not to repair a leak.Without this rule, your bill would go up.
If its a sensible rule, it would exist whether water was privatised or not.

The water shortage is going to be felt more significantly in hot countries, but that has ramifications for the UK too.
To be honest anyone still eating red meat or drinking cows milk (when there are perfectly good alternatives out there) has their head firmly buried in the sand about making any changes.

2vvnp02.jpg

Who else would set it up? Of course it was

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.