Bernardo Silva - 2017/18 performances

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just wondering why everyone seems tho see him as Merlin's replacement to my knowledge he has always played on the wing but I see it mentioned all the time that he will eventually move to cm? Is it his skill set or what is it? Gundogan has been the cover for David all season, if it was peps plan the play bernando there why not bring him on at cm instead of RW all the time. Think he is wonderful to watch just wondering why alot of people think he is a cm?

Just wondering why everyone seems tho see him as Merlin's replacement to my knowledge he has always played on the wing but I see it mentioned all the time that he will eventually move to cm? Is it his skill set or what is it? Gundogan has been the cover for David all season, if it was peps plan the play bernando there why not bring him on at cm instead of RW all the time. Think he is wonderful to watch just wondering why alot of people think he is a cm?
I see him playing central because he lacks pace (which is very helpful on the wing), is excellent on the ball, hardly ever gives it away, can make killer passes and seems better at setting others up than scoring himself. Silva's crosses also seem to be chipped passes from the wing (when playing there) as opposed to smartly whipped in crosses - probably due to lack of pace. As our side isn't tall, a pacy winger able to whip in low passes would seem to suit us far better playing wide.

His skillset, he isn't really suitable to be a winger - quite slow and a poor shooter, in many ways similar to Silva/Iniesta. Sam Lee has mentioned in his articles several times that Bernardo was initialy bought to play as a CM, Silva's heir. Pep played him there once (vs WBA in the LC), but later was forced to move him to the wing as City couldn't get Sanchez.

I have some doubts about Bernardo's ability to shift to CM position. There were rumours (from Sam Lee or Marti Perarnau, don't remember exactly) that Guardiola's been initially shocked by Bernardo's inability to follow his instructions. If another 'genuine' winger comes, Bernardo has to deliver as a CM or drop to the bench I'm afraid.
Pep's plan for City includes stretching the pitch by speedy wingers, Bernardo doesn't fit this description.

Last edited:
Honestly, it's because he's small, very left footed, has incredible close control and most importantly is called Silva.

People maybe forget with David, that when he showed up at a similar age his positional game was one of the best on the planet. Match of the Day loved to point out his abilities to play between the lines of midfield and defence and find pockets of space.

Bernardo is a different player. He's technically better than David was, certainly if you're looking to play more direct football. He's a better dribbler, a better crosser, a better shooter and has even better close control than David did. Not by much, but he's still better in those senses.

The idea with Bernardo, is that if he picks up on any of the supremely high in game intelligence that David has, is that he'll become quite the extraordinary talent. Right now he just isn't there. But then remember he's still only 23. So playing with Silva, and having Pep as a manager might in the long run do him wonders.

Next season, if we bring back the 442 diamond we went with (vs Feyenoord and Watford) prior to Mendy's injury then I fully expect Bernardo to shine. His ability to link up with Walker and De Bruyne on the right (vs Feyenoord) was a sight to behold and it's in that kind of role where he can excel, as for me it would be the most similar role to his former Monaco one.

His skillset, he isn't really suitable to be a winger - quite slow and a poor shooter, in many ways similar to Silva/Iniesta. Sam Lee has mentioned in his articles several times that Bernardo was initialy bought to play as a CM, Silva's heir. Pep played him there once (vs WBA in the LC), but later was forced to move him to the wing as City couldn't get Sanchez.

I have some doubts about Bernardo's ability to shift to CM position. There were rumours (from Sam Lee or Marti Perarnau, don't remember exactly) that Guardiola's been initially shocked by Bernardo's inability to follow his instructions. If another 'genuine' winger comes, Bernardo has to deliver as a CM or drop to the bench I'm afraid.
Pep's plan for City includes stretching the pitch by speedy wingers, Bernardo doesn't fit this description.

Bernardo has a great strike with his left, I think he can be brilliant in midfield for us, his workrate really surprised me too

Ohoh! Better not tell @shak :)

His skillset and he was never a super fast player. Moreover, I’m guessing he plays more on the right wing that central as only him and Raheem can play on the right wing. While centrally we have Gundogan, Kev, Dave, Silva, even Yaya. Imagine if he had not played right wing, we’d be forced to play Kev on the right wing like Pellegrini did.

9 goals in 28 starts, can't agree that he's a poor shooter.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.