Bernardo Silva - 2017/18 performances

Status
Not open for further replies.
His skillset, he isn't really suitable to be a winger - quite slow and a poor shooter, in many ways similar to Silva/Iniesta. Sam Lee has mentioned in his articles several times that Bernardo was initialy bought to play as a CM, Silva's heir. Pep played him there once (vs WBA in the LC), but later was forced to move him to the wing as City couldn't get Sanchez.

I have some doubts about Bernardo's ability to shift to CM position. There were rumours (from Sam Lee or Marti Perarnau, don't remember exactly) that Guardiola's been initially shocked by Bernardo's inability to follow his instructions. If another 'genuine' winger comes, Bernardo has to deliver as a CM or drop to the bench I'm afraid.
Pep's plan for City includes stretching the pitch by speedy wingers, Bernardo doesn't fit this description.
Petr Cech disagrees.

You can have a poor, weak shot and still score goals. Bernardo has 6 in 35 league games. Not bad for a midfielder, not enough for a forward.

He scores at almost the exact same rate as Sané in the league, 252 mins per goal vs. 243. When you're forced into using a disingenuous "appearances" stat when we all know he's mostly come off the bench, you know your argument is shit. He's a good goalscorer.

Pep had about 15 opportunities to play Bernardo in midfield when Silva was away. If there was a genuine plan to move him inside and deputise for D.Silva, he would have been tested in those games, whereas instead he mostly saw them out on the bench or on the wing.

Pep's actions speak louder than Sam Lee's articles.

Last edited:
He scores at almost the exact same rate as Sané in the league, 252 mins per goal vs. 243. When you're forced into using a disingenuous "appearances" stat when we all know he's mostly come off the bench, you know your argument is shit. He's a good goalscorer.

Pep had about 15 opportunities to play Bernardo in midfield when Silva was away. If there was a genuine plan to move him inside and deputise for D.Silva, he would have been tested in those games, whereas instead he mostly saw them out on the bench or on the wing.

Pep's actions speak louder than Sam Lee's articles.
I see where you’re coming from, but if Bernardo played in the middle, Gundogan would have very little game time. While on the other hand, Raheem has no backup on the right side (Sane too to some extent), so I think positional availability plays a role here too.

Like...bidding for another left-footed right winger?
So he'll have 2 for each of the front 3 positions like he's wanted since arriving...

Also who says Mahrez is a right winger? Sterling played on the left before Pep, Sané played almost all his games on the right at Schalke.

Last edited:
My thinking is that Bernardo and Mahrez will probably rotate between LCM and RW until Pep can find which spot is best for both. It could be that Bernardo can't play David's role, but that Mahrez is perfectly suited for it, then both players all of a sudden make sense.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.