City to expand Etihad to 62,000?

Status
Not open for further replies.

True but where are they starting it? In London. Then heading north gradually over decades. Its the north that will lose out due to contruction delays and the inevitable cuts when the scheme is scaled back due to it going over budget. Why not start it in Manchester or Leeds. And head south? Capital expenditure is far too London centric in the UK and especially England of you take put Scotland Wales and NI.

True but where are they starting it? In London. Then heading north gradually over decades. Its the north that will lose out due to contruction delays and the inevitable cuts when the scheme is scaled back due to it going over budget. Why not start it in Manchester or Leeds. And head south? Capital expenditure is far too London centric in the UK and especially England of you take put Scotland Wales and NI.
I agree with your last point, but your original point was plainly wrong, irrespective of where the HS2 project (inevitably) starts. Scaled back to where? Lichfield?

I agree with your last point, but your original point was plainly wrong, irrespective of where the HS2 project (inevitably) starts. Scaled back to where? Lichfield?

I think the line will get to Manchester but Leeds is doubtful imo. The Transpennine express (HS3) linking Leeds Bradford and the Manchester Liverpool conurbations of roughly 5 million people needs major investment. It's in a critically poor state. But that is so far down the road it's never going to happen. Crossrail 2 will be finished before that is even started.

I think the line will get to Manchester but Leeds is doubtful imo. The Transpennine express (HS3) linking Leeds Bradford and the Manchester Liverpool conurbations of roughly 5 million people needs major investment. It's in a critically poor state. But that is so far down the road it's never going to happen. Crossrail 2 will be finished before that is even started.
I think it’s right to say that rail links from east to west (and vice versa) are palpably worse than those from north to south (and vice versa). My ex wife used to commute from Nottingham to Birmingham which took ridiculously long and the rolling stock was pretty wank.

Rail transport in this country is overpriced, substandard and should be renationalised imo (not a particularly radical view tbf)

I think it’s right to say that rail links from east to west (and vice versa) are palpably worse than those from north to south (and vice versa). My ex wife used to commute from Nottingham to Birmingham which took ridiculously long and the rolling stock was pretty wank.

Rail transport in this country is overpriced, substandard and should be renationalised imo (not a particularly radical view tbf)
wouldn't agree entirely, you can get from Cardiff to London on brand new trains in 2 hours (not very nice trains mind). Manchester to Bristol is 3 hours, Manchester to Cardiff is 3 hours on a good day, when both would come in around 2 hours if trains averaged just 80 mph, they average around 60 mph which is ludicrous. It's also an hour and a half to Birmingham, despite it being 80 miles away, partly due to how crap the entry routes into New Street are. So North-South away from London is just as bad in many places as East/West.

The thread title is wrong......imo.
Never will City have a gate of 62,000.............the title sounds good but even now our record seems to be 54,600?.....and yet they(the club) claim 55,000 seats.
I remember when the gate was 47,500 ?.....and MUEN claimed City were adding 9,000 with the SS expansion...........it never happened.

Once they get to Birmingham the scheme will be scrapped. They want to rebuild Euston to start a rejuvenation of Camden, there’s a need for commuting capacity between London and the West Mids - once those objectives are achieved the govt will switch it’s attention to Crossrail 2.

wouldn't agree entirely, you can get from Cardiff to London on brand new trains in 2 hours (not very nice trains mind). Manchester to Bristol is 3 hours, Manchester to Cardiff is 3 hours on a good day, when both would come in around 2 hours if trains averaged just 80 mph, they average around 60 mph which is ludicrous. It's also an hour and a half to Birmingham, despite it being 80 miles away, partly due to how crap the entry routes into New Street are. So North-South away from London is just as bad in many places as East/West.

The new super bi modal trains from London to Swansea - following the fuck up of the electrification are going to take over 20 minutes longer than the old trains! That’s progress - not.

This may be more of a civil engineering/construction question rather than strictly football but it is directly relevant to travel to and from the ground. Are the problems of taking the trams underground in Manchester city centre really far more difficult to solve than the problems of cross rail (1 and 2) in London? Or just more (or considerably less) expensive?
I lived in France some 20 years ago and Lyon had 5 underground lines then. Lille had at least one. None of them was deeper than a flight of steps. I don't see what is so impossible about this in Manchester.

The thread title is wrong......imo.
Never will City have a gate of 62,000.............the title sounds good but even now our record seems to be 54,600?.....and yet they(the club) claim 55,000 seats.
I remember when the gate was 47,500 ?.....and MUEN claimed City were adding 9,000 with the SS expansion...........it never happened.
Check your history mate. City have had many gates in excess of 62k.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.