Old Style Champions League

I prefered the old comp, along with the uefa cup and cup winners cup

Unfortunately they will never return

I like the CL format. This season has been excellent in terms of good quality matches in the groups and knockouts. The knockout format before didn't generate enough money for UEFA.

The Europa league is shite and I don't think it is right that CL teams finishing third in their group go into it. It is a secondary competition and therefore should be setup like the CL to have the full quota of teams at group stage. It then offers a chance to win what would be a great trophy for a team not quite at CL level yet and then the ultimate prize of CL football the next season.

I like the CL format. This season has been excellent in terms of good quality matches in the groups and knockouts. The knockout format before didn't generate enough money for UEFA.

The Europa league is shite and I don't think it is right that CL teams finishing third in their group go into it. It is a secondary competition and therefore should be setup like the CL to have the full quota of teams at group stage. It then offers a chance to win what would be a great trophy for a team not quite at CL level yet and then the ultimate prize of CL football the next season.

Who made ot a secondary comp though? Uefa and the formation of the champions league, when we had the old 3 comps, everyone was considered a great thing to be in, Uefa devalued the uefa cup

Though I might add it's mainly english teams that seem to turn their noses up at it while europe still find it prestidgous.

Next season on the old format

European cup - us
Uefa cup - rags/tottenham/scouser/arse (as LC runners up)
Cup winners cup - Chelsea

A fair reflection on league standings and cup endevours.

Tge new system you could argue gives teams lower down the table a taste of european football though

The fact that Real Madrid who finished 14 points behind Barca and the Dippers 25 points behind us , really makes this competition irrelevant when working out which is the best football team in europe , would love the old format to return , no group games , straight into knock-out competition over two legs. The clue is in the name "The Champions League" not the "we finished in the top four league" , but this bent competition is way too far down the line and UEFA will only make this competition bigger and include more teams in the future. Wouldnt be surprised if they increased ours and other stronger football nations entries to six teams , its all about the ££££££££££ , nothing to do with who are the best football team.
You’re contradicting yourself. If we went back to the old knockout system for just the Champions, Chelsea would have been the sole English representatives in it this season and they finished further behind City than Liverpool did.

I think the current system is better and the old one wouldn't work with the decline in eastern europe

i'd go a step further and nick from the nations league. have a league system with play-offs at the end. Have a super league at the top and divisions below it. teams qualify through their league spots as usual but if you win your division you get promoted with that spot. at the end of the season, it's not the team relegated (as you have to qualify every year) but the nation spot in that league that goes down.

so if in the super league the 4th premier league spot finishes bottom, it would go down to division 1 the next year and a nation who finished top of their division 1 group would go up. my biggest gripe is so many champions and teams qualify for Europe to get knocked out in July/august. this way every nation is involved through till spring and will play competitive games against similarly ranked sides. not easy to explain here but I like the concept.

You’re contradicting yourself. If we went back to the old knockout system for just the Champions, Chelsea would have been the sole English representatives in it this season and they finished further behind City than Liverpool did.
But at least they were champions. Next season it would just be us. It would make the league a far better competition, no going for a draw as 4th place won't be good enough.

I really miss those competitions. UEFA cup was always tougher to win. As far a I remember there was a two match final. Cup Winner Cup always provided surprise winners from Eastern Europe. Ah memories!

Who made ot a secondary comp though? Uefa and the formation of the champions league, when we had the old 3 comps, everyone was considered a great thing to be in, Uefa devalued the uefa cup

Though I might add it's mainly english teams that seem to turn their noses up at it while europe still find it prestidgous.

Next season on the old format

European cup - us
Uefa cup - rags/tottenham/scouser/arse (as LC runners up)
Cup winners cup - Chelsea

A fair reflection on league standings and cup endevours.

Tge new system you could argue gives teams lower down the table a taste of european football though

The European Cup was still a bigger trophy to win though. The Cup Winners Cup arguably second to it. Calling it the Europa League is stupid. The only solution in the future would be a European league where the Champions all play a league format with the winner of that being the winner of the European Cup. But the current system ensures more money from the number of games and a European league would potentially be in addition to current competitions if anything. The old history boys want a league to protect thier position and revenue in Europe. It would be a nonsense.

Personally I quite enjoy the Champions League format as it is, you just need to keep a sense of perspective and remember that it's a distance behind the league and FA Cup in terms of importance. It's micro managed in an effort to get the top 16 teams into the knockout phase, which it generally does and, from there on in, so much of it depends on luck and favourable decisions. That's why as much as I'd enjoy us getting into the final I'm not that arsed one way or the other if we don't and, despite the media's continuing claim that it's our owners 'Holy Grail', I've never seen anything from them to suggest that's the case. It's essentially a money making machine for the clubs, UEFA and those at the top with their hands in the trough.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.