Thiago Alcantara

Status
Not open for further replies.
We know that Thiago is up for grabs at the right price, and he's just about the same age as Gundogan. Would anyone like a possible swap between the two, provided we don't pay up more than 20-25m in addition to the player?

We know Guardiola's likes Thiago, and has worked with him before. He's definitely an excellent midfielder and he'd fit in right like he's at home.

Also, if anyone's not in favour of this idea, I'd love to know why?

We don't need another 8. We need a 6.

We watched his twice in April, including a midweek game against Leverkusen.

I was told it was simply Pep asking for an update on both his form and fitness.

We do tend to line up two or three alternatives and Jorginho deal talks moved very quickly.

Thiago was dynamite against Real in the semi at the Bernabeu but his injuries have left a question mark.

Bayern don't let any player leave who isn't worthwhile.

We watched his twice in April, including a midweek game against Leverkusen.

I was told it was simply Pep asking for an update on both his form and fitness.

We do tend to line up two or three alternatives and Jorginho deal talks moved very quickly.

Thiago was dynamite against Real in the semi at the Bernabeu but his injuries have left a question mark.

Bayern don't let any player leave who isn't worthwhile.

That was my concern Tolms how many great players leave Munchen, especially in their prime?

Interesting that on German speaking Bayern forums most don't mind if Thiago is sold and Chris Falk has said that BAyern are willing to listen to offers if the right one comes. Bayern currenlty have too many players in their central axis so they need to offload some players for sure.

The problem here is that I feel Manchester City need an extremely press resistant midfielder like Modric and one that is a controller as well so that there are less 'resets' and ball recycling to try to build up another attack.

Thiago is not a controller and he often doesn't have the ability to drive the team forward. In fact, he is Gundogan with more flair and he loses a lot of ball making risky passes which is what Kevin de Bruyne is there for. Add to the fact that his injury record is quite frankly atrocious, I would be very surprised if he is bought by Manchester City.

Interesting that on German speaking Bayern forums most don't mind if Thiago is sold and Chris Falk has said that BAyern are willing to listen to offers if the right one comes. Bayern currenlty have too many players in their central axis so they need to offload some players for sure.

The problem here is that I feel Manchester City need an extremely press resistant midfielder like Modric and one that is a controller as well so that there are less 'resets' and ball recycling to try to build up another attack.

Thiago is not a controller and he often doesn't have the ability to drive the team forward. In fact, he is Gundogan with more flair and he loses a lot of ball making risky passes which is what Kevin de Bruyne is there for. Add to the fact that his injury record is quite frankly atrocious, I would be very surprised if he is bought by Manchester City.
Using KdB who loses the ball a lot means the other 8 should be a press-resistant 'strategist', right? Frenkie De Jong could fit there very well.
Though City already have Silva, Gundogan, Bernardo and upcoming Foden for that position, so I doubt we'll see FDJ in a blue shirt.

As for Thiago, he didn't do that well at Bayern under Guardiola and had numerous health problems including 2 consecutive ACL injuries. I guess Bayern see him as damaged goods that should be sold. Replacing Gundogan with another injury-prone player doesn't make any sense for me.

Last edited:
Using KdB who loses the ball a lot means the other 8 should be a press-resistant 'strategist', right? Frenkie De Jong could fit there very well.
Though City already have Silva, Gundogan, Bernardo and upcoming Foden for that position, so I doubt we'll see FDJ in a blue shirt.

Ideally. The other 8 being press resistant would help City in that they won't have to reset more and allow them to construct attacks closer to the oppsotion goal which means, more bodies behind the ball, more players in counter pressing positions and less danger of being counter attacked. Anytime Gundogan has replaced Silva, City have had trouble keeping the ball in the opposition half because he is not as involved in constructiuon and he tends to try and make that late run into the box.

I thbik that de Jong will probably end up at Barcelona sadly. He would be perfect for City but I can see Foden becoming a key player as he is very good in compact areas and holding on to the ball.

As for Thiago, he didn't do that well at Bayern under Guardiola and had numerous health problems including 2 consecutive ACL injuries. I guess Bayern see him as damaged goods that should be sold. Replacing Gundogan with another injury-prone player doesn't make any sense for me.

He wasn't bad under Pep Guardiola but he was 'restricted' a lot becuase the focus was more wing orinetated, so it was rare for him to ever try and impose himself on the game as Bayern didn't have the same control that Barcelona had (different players).

Under Ancelotti he looked better because he was 'taken off his shackles' and so was far more expressive. The problems for him is that in big games he never ever imposed himself. Either he makes safe passes or he tries to overdo it. There is no balance in his game as of yet and the injuries have not let him settle.

I agree, him replacing Gundogan would be a bit strange but Pep guardiola usually gets things right.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.