Jorginho

Status
Not open for further replies.
You would have to assume in those situations it would be Walker defending with Jorginho helping out. The difference with Pep is he's all about positioning. 5 attacking and 5 defending. Mancini had Italy all over the place.

I don't know. They should have been much better able to deal with the attack. He was unable to offer the defender any help. Beaten badly for pace and then just tries to throw himself ala Otamendi. Walker frequently goes wandering up the pitch leaving the right-hand side exposed. He'll probably be pretty good when we're in possession, which is most of every game that we play. It's just in those tough games, particularly against teams that counter quickly, where he may struggle. A lot is made of how he might improve us against Liverpool when in possession, but how about when we don't have possession? Liverpool have so many quick players that you need your CDM to seriously contribute in stopping the attacks. It is conceivable that next season they could go forward with Salah, Mane, Firminho, Keita, Fekir and Chamberlain. Given that we play with both De Bruyne and Silva, neither of which is strong defensively, we should be bringing in someone with a bit of pace and a physical presence who can defend competently.

I don't know. They should have been much better able to deal with the attack. He was unable to offer the defender any help. Beaten badly for pace and then just tries to throw himself ala Otamendi. Walker frequently goes wandering up the pitch leaving the right-hand side exposed. He'll probably be pretty good when we're in possession, which is most of every game that we play. It's just in those tough games, particularly against teams that counter quickly, where he may struggle. A lot is made of how he might improve us against Liverpool when in possession, but how about when we don't have possession? Liverpool have so many quick players that you need your CDM to seriously contribute in stopping the attacks. It is conceivable that next season they could go forward with Salah, Mane, Firminho, Keita, Fekir and Chamberlain. Given that we play with both De Bruyne and Silva, neither of which is strong defensively, we should be bringing in someone with a bit of pace and a physical presence who can defend competently.
Was it a friendly?

Fair points to take into consideration. Yes he does lack pace, but there were no defenders on sight. It was a counter attacking situation and where was his centerbacks or defenders? Why was he the last man in defence? He isn't quick I'll give you that, and we may give up goals, but we're just going to have to deal with it because that's how Pep plays. He had Busquets and Xabi Alonso in his previous teams who were not bless with pace. When Walker goes up the pitch, then De Bruyne would have to shift back and cover. This video shows how the team defend as a whole.

I said before Liverpool is the only team I really am concerned about and maybe we could use Dinho and Jorginho along with maybe Silva in the midfield. De Bruyne tends to give the ball away at times so maybe have him on the wing? Anyway Pep will think of something I'm sure.

Last edited:
If you go to Squawka matrix and compare the defensive stats of Casemiro and Busquets in La Liga - a fair comparison since they played against the same adversaries; you see that the numbers of tackles, interceptions, clearences, etc, of Casemiro are far superior. Sometimes close to 50% superior. Its almost like if Casemiro was doing the defensive job of 1.5 Busquets.

But how can Barcelona survive with a DM with those stats? Its because they defend with the system. With the ball. Then a passing DM is a better alternative in that ideology of game. In this system implanted by Pep Guardiola Jorginho is a upgrade on Fernandinho. So i believe nobody should be concerned about the team in the Premiere League next season.

But i need to say that i watched almost all Barcelona games in the last years, and my conclusion is that the Barca/City method is ideal to league competitions. In knockout games like the Champions League is better to have at least one midfielder with superior defensive stats. Of course you still can win the CL due to superior talent but the chance of be obliterated by inferior opposition is higher.

The alternative would be to rotate the line up much more in the weeks previous to a CL game in order to be able to display an energetic high pressure to compensate the presence of a DM like Busquets or Jorginho.

Remember everyone was saying the same about Bernardo Silva; he's slow, won't cut it in epl, Pep will improve him so let's wait n see.
This post is in no way meant to be insulting of Jorginho, who I've barely seen play, but my memory of Bernardo coming was pretty much universal acclaim.

I've been watching full Napoli games the last few days when listening to various podcasts. I've watched 4 games vs Lazio, 1 vs Torino and 1 vs Crotone. Obviously fully concentrating on Jorginho

• His passing is clearly excellent and extremely progressive. Will be huge vs parked buses. We will play even more beautiful football at times, which is hard to imagine.
However...
  • His defensive ability in terms of winning duels is very, very bad. I don't expect a Regista to be particularly good at winning duels but honestly I'm quite shocked at just how bad he is here. Too many times you think he's favourite to win a tackle but he somehow manages to lose it. He also often struggles to complete interceptions, tho he isn't called upon to make them that much - whether this is due to him being too slow to make up the ground or his cutting off of passing lanes is good as to not need to make them I'm not sure, I'm no expert. Might explain the relatively low fee. If he was better defensively he'd probably be nearer double the price.

I'm not that concerned tbh as I always saw him as a weapon vs parked buses rather than our next 38 PL games a season/permanent DM

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.