Roger Waters/Pink Floyd

Saw on the Radio Kaos tour at Wembley, then again on the early noughties when he first brought his In The Flesh tour to the UK at the MEN arena. Saw then Wall show their too. Of the 3, his first tour when he came 'back' was the best, and the In The Flesh DVD and album I would highly recommend, and if I had to pick on of his solo albums I'd go for Amused To Death, an absolutely underrated gem, up there on a par with his Floyd writing. I like Gilmour, of course I do, how could you not, and the colours Wright provided on keyboards too, but for me Waters was the soul of the band, full stop. So much so that back in the 80s I made a point of swerving then MLOR tour at Maine Road and traipsed down to the Arena in London for KOAS instead. As a Waters fan, its Animals, The Wall and The Final Cut I'd listen to over Dark Side any day of the week.

On a broader point, it is funny with Waters, but like a lot of artists I suppose, he basically gave up touring/paid a token gesture to it for years and years, but when the cash started drying up (relatively in his case I admit!) from album sales, he suddenly found a new-found enthusiasm for hitting the road again. Or to be fair to him, maybe that's just a co-incidence and he just felt he needed to reclaim his legacy etc etc before it was too late. As you say @bluemoon risin' , he wont be touring on a grand scale that many more times - although he does use lots of backing singers/effects etc to boost his voice, so you never know ;-)

Saw on the Radio Kaos tour at Wembley, then again on the early noughties when he first brought his In The Flesh tour to the UK at the MEN arena. Saw then Wall show their too. Of the 3, his first tour when he came 'back' was the best, and the In The Flesh DVD and album I would highly recommend, and if I had to pick on of his solo albums I'd go for Amused To Death, an absolutely underrated gem, up there on a par with his Floyd writing. I like Gilmour, of course I do, how could you not, and the colours Wright provided on keyboards too, but for me Waters was the soul of the band, full stop. So much so that back in the 80s I made a point of swerving then MLOR tour at Maine Road and traipsed down to the Arena in London for KOAS instead. As a Waters fan, its Animals, The Wall and The Final Cut I'd listen to over Dark Side any day of the week.

On a broader point, it is funny with Waters, but like a lot of artists I suppose, he basically gave up touring/paid a token gesture to it for years and years, but when the cash started drying up (relatively in his case I admit!) from album sales, he suddenly found a new-found enthusiasm for hitting the road again. Or to be fair to him, maybe that's just a co-incidence and he just felt he needed to reclaim his legacy etc etc before it was too late. As you say @bluemoon risin' , he wont be touring on a grand scale that many more times - although he does use lots of backing singers/effects etc to boost his voice, so you never know ;-)
I agree entirely with what you say on liking the influence that Waters had on Floyd. I too like Gilmour. But,,,,, I rarely have a smoke nowadays and generally I find his solo stuff too mellow and wishy washy when sober.
I have his ''About Face' and 'On An Island' albums, and only 'There's No Way Out Of Here's stands out, the rest don't do it for me. As for the album 'Rattle That Lock", i think I've only played it twice and I've had about 2 years, so i don't have an opinion on it as of yet.

I could not name my favourite Waters track as there are too many great tracks to choose, but I agree, 'Amused to death is indeed an underrated gem, and my favourite at the mo, although his latest album is catching up fast IMO.

A mate first introduced me to Floyd around 82 and the first album i took to was The Final cut, and I played it that much I wore 2 vinyl albums out! Spent many hours listening to the other albums, but not so much nowadays. But playing a floyd album to me is like meeting a good friend I ain't seen in ages.
One of my other favourite bands is Oxford's finest Radiohead(Floyd being from Cambridge-shire) and i think they are a modern day Pink Floyd (if that makes sense)

Last edited:
I agree entirely with what you say on liking the influence that Waters had on Floyd. I too like Gilmour. But,,,,, I rarely have a smoke nowadays and generally I find his solo stuff too mellow and wishy washy when sober.
I have his ''About Face' and 'On An Island' albums, and only 'There's No Way Out Of Here's stands out, the rest don't do it for me. As for the album 'Rattle That Lock", i think I've only played it twice and I've had about 2 years, so i don't have an opinion on it as of yet.

I could not name my favourite Waters track as there are too many great tracks to choose, but I agree, 'Amused to death is indeed an underrated gem, and my favourite at the mo, although his latest album is catching up fast IMO.

A mate first introduced me to Floyd around 82 and the first album i took to was The Final cut, and I played it that much I wore 2 vinyl albums out! Spent many hours listening to the other albums, but not so much nowadays. But playing a floyd album to me is like meeting a good friend I ain't seen in ages.
One of my other favourite bands is Oxford's finest Radiohead(Floyd being from Cambridge-shire) and i think they are a modern day Pink Floyd (if that makes sense)

Agree with much of that too. I can only think of High Hopes and Keep Talking from the Division Bell for example that really grab me. Tbh, I've barely heard Waters latest solo record, so you've inspired me to have a proper listen over the next few weeks.
Yes, the albums are like old friends indeed. The only one a sometimes think twice about is the Wall, just because a) its a double, and b) its such an all-or-nothing immersive experience - its an album that's hard to, 'have on the the background!'

In fact the only point of difference I have with you is the last sentence, and that's putting it mildly, so I think I'd best leave it there ;-)

Agree with much of that too. I can only think of High Hopes and Keep Talking from the Division Bell for example that really grab me. Tbh, I've barely heard Waters latest solo record, so you've inspired me to have a proper listen over the next few weeks.
Yes, the albums are like old friends indeed. The only one a sometimes think twice about is the Wall, just because a) its a double, and b) its such an all-or-nothing immersive experience - its an album that's hard to, 'have on the the background!'

In fact the only point of difference I have with you is the last sentence, and that's putting it mildly, so I think I'd best leave it there ;-)
Fair enough blue, it's all about opinion and Radiohead are brilliant band, my opinion of course.

I prefer Gilmour. He was excellent when I saw him a couple of years ago at the Royal Albert Hall.

I've got three Waters solo albums and have seen him three times in concert. Got tricked into going to see The Wall for a second time by claims that the stadium shower would be even more spectacular than the arena one but it just seemed to be a bigger wall!

Not got the latest Waters album yet but I am going to see him for a fourth time in Birmingham next month.

I prefer Gilmour. He was excellent when I saw him a couple of years ago at the Royal Albert Hall.

I've got three Waters solo albums and have seen him three times in concert. Got tricked into going to see The Wall for a second time by claims that the stadium shower would be even more spectacular than the arena one but it just seemed to be a bigger wall!

Not got the latest Waters album yet but I am going to see him for a fourth time in Birmingham next month.

I'm not surprised you prefer Gilmour; )

"Got tricked". Lol. I know whay you mean about the bigger wall though. I was at one of the Wembley stadium gigs. He did 3 nights to a packed 3 stands and standing. Not bad for an old timer who's never been a mainstream artist. I thought it was a memorable gig, I hope he still has it when at the Manc Arena.

Have a listen to the first 5 tracks of his latest album I put on here, took me about 4 listenings before I fully got into it.

Last edited:
I like Roger but theres a lot of rumours that he's miming on stage these days.

I thought the same thing when I saw him. For a 70+ year old bloke he sounded too much like the albums recorded in his 20s

Musically, very good if you can get over the politics.

I think Waters is a bit up his own arse. Spat his dummy out because he didn't get his own way with the band, and him and Gilmour have been at each others throat ever since.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.