American spelling of English words.

English really is almost two languages together, one derived from Latin through French and one from the Germanic languages via the Angles. The latter was the language of the land (or most of it) when the Normans landed and during the following centuries, the ruling classes tried to impose their language on the serfdom. It didn't work and they gave up but by that time both languages were interwoven and words were being used by all classes. Hence why there are so many words, quite often meaning the same thing (Mutton (Old English), Lamb (French) for example).

I find it fascinating.

Isn't mutton an old sheep and a lamb is a baby sheep?

English really is almost two languages together, one derived from Latin through French and one from the Germanic languages via the Angles. The latter was the language of the land (or most of it) when the Normans landed and during the following centuries, the ruling classes tried to impose their language on the serfdom. It didn't work and they gave up but by that time both languages were interwoven and words were being used by all classes. Hence why there are so many words, quite often meaning the same thing (Mutton (Old English), Lamb (French) for example).

I find it fascinating.

Maybe when you have time you can explain to me the Welsh language, I know it's the ancient language of the Britons but there is nothing to relate it too, rather like the Basques.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.