Sane left out of Germany World Cup Squad

I did have to jog my memory on Fischer and Riedle and I had no idea that Gomez had got the nod this time. I'm a bit surprised about that one tbh. But an English list would only have about five names in it. So, not being English, you probably would struggle to remember nonentities like Emile Heskey. I've been trying to forget him and several others for longer than I care to remember. Better not to know in the first place. Going backwards, we'd have to start at Rooney, Shearer, Lineker, Hurst, Greaves. Yeah, there's not much similarity. Unfortunately for us. But ball-playing attackers for Germany aren't so easy to recall. Libuda, Grabowski, Littbarski. Even the younger fans' favourite player, Reus, has only got 30 caps at the age of 29 (googled that). And he's maybe the most similar to Sane. So it's not a criticism because Germany have done great, but I do think that there might be a distrust of dribblers or ball players, whatever people want to call them. The English seem to dislike defenders who try to play football a bit. I don't know why but we definitely do. We prefer defenders to be just like us. Brave, tough, thick, handsome. Phil Jones. Joking aside, Gascoigne would never have got into Germany's team but he could never have been German anyway, if you see what I mean. Even Netzer split opinion, if I remember right. I actually do think that each country has likes and dislikes when it comes to types of players and probably produces more of the types it likes. Couldn't possibly prove it of course but it's just what I feel.

What does it help if he performs for City when he does not do that for Germany? If he did not function until now he will not get the chance to do so in the World Cup either. If Germany needs a goal in the last minutes there are other ways to get it especially to draw Müller into the centre and substitute Gomez in etc. If you chose player no. 6 for the offense maybe other criterias count in, too.

The match yesterday did not show much - maybe that Reus and Werner seem to fit, that Müller still is able to get dangerously into that situations in the box (you rarely saw that at Bayern the last two seasons probably because the emphasize was too much on Lewy) - but you saw their heavy legs after the trainings camp. They e.g. lost more than half of the duels in the second half against a team they usually be by far superior in that aspect. After years with that national team you have learned never to take friendly matches serious.

What does it help if he performs for City when he does not do that for Germany? If he did not function until now he will not get the chance to do so in the World Cup either. If Germany needs a goal in the last minutes there are other ways to get it especially to draw Müller into the centre and substitute Gomez in etc. If you chose player no. 6 for the offense maybe other criterias count in, too.

The match yesterday did not show much - maybe that Reus and Werner seem to fit, that Müller still is able to get dangerously into that situations in the box (you rarely saw that at Bayern the last two seasons probably because the emphasize was too much on Lewy) - but you saw their heavy legs after the trainings camp. They e.g. lost more than half of the duels in the second half against a team they usually be by far superior in that aspect. After years with that national team you have learned never to take friendly matches serious.

I'm not quite sure what your post has got to do with mine.

But you have to fit in to function. Germany don't move dynamically like City do. Not really surprising because they don't spend months training together every day. Sane will flourish in a team that changes shape a lot. He can exploit teams that have been pulled around and are trying to get it back. But City do that as a matter of course. They play lots of passes, go short and wide, then wide and long and draw players on. Germany play differently. They're not going to change to suit Leroy Sane. That's what I've been saying from the start. He just doesn't fit the German team's way of playing football.

I did have to jog my memory on Fischer and Riedle and I had no idea that Gomez had got the nod this time. I'm a bit surprised about that one tbh. But an English list would only have about five names in it. So, not being English, you probably would struggle to remember nonentities like Emile Heskey. I've been trying to forget him and several others for longer than I care to remember. Better not to know in the first place. Going backwards, we'd have to start at Rooney, Shearer, Lineker, Hurst, Greaves. Yeah, there's not much similarity. Unfortunately for us. But ball-playing attackers for Germany aren't so easy to recall. Libuda, Grabowski, Littbarski. Even the younger fans' favourite player, Reus, has only got 30 caps at the age of 29 (googled that). And he's maybe the most similar to Sane. So it's not a criticism because Germany have done great, but I do think that there might be a distrust of dribblers or ball players, whatever people want to call them. The English seem to dislike defenders who try to play football a bit. I don't know why but we definitely do. We prefer defenders to be just like us. Brave, tough, thick, handsome. Phil Jones. Joking aside, Gascoigne would never have got into Germany's team but he could never have been German anyway, if you see what I mean. Even Netzer split opinion, if I remember right. I actually do think that each country has likes and dislikes when it comes to types of players and probably produces more of the types it likes. Couldn't possibly prove it of course but it's just what I feel.

First of all that's an interesting comparison of Libuda and Sané!! - ....just to pretend we stay on topic ;)

Heskey, well I only knew his name, not much more. ;-)
One of my facourite England players in terms of style, skill and work rate is Frank Lampard. I would have loved to see him lift a trophy for England.
And if his goal in Bloemfontein 2010 was on the board, well who knows...

Thinking about your points I feel times have changed a bit about typical German (maybe also English?) types of players or style of play.
Globalization and integration is moving on and will have consequences. But in contrast to England the German team only had German coaches following an old-fashioned team approach, which I like.

Coming back to Sané I think time will play for him. He will further improve under Pep and the German coach, whoever will be in place in some months time, cannot ignore him. Especially if the mission 'get another title' in Russia will fail.
You know the business. The coach would be under pressure to find a way to integrate Sané's quality into the German game.

IF the title could be retained, it certainly would hurt Sané. And it also wouldn't be quite easy for him to come back to the team in autumn on his knees, begging for a return and carrying balls, goals and bags for the big guns only to show his fuckin changed attitude.

So I guess it's save to say now after Sané being dropped and Gündogan being booed,
there might not be too many Blues left having much sympathies for Germany, to put it that way :)
And I do fully understand :)

First of all that's an interesting comparison of Libuda and Sané!! - ....just to pretend we stay on topic ;)

Heskey, well I only knew his name, not much more. ;-)
One of my facourite England players in terms of style, skill and work rate is Frank Lampard. I would have loved to see him lift a trophy for England.
And if his goal in Bloemfontein 2010 was on the board, well who knows...

Thinking about your points I feel times have changed a bit about typical German (maybe also English?) types of players or style of play.
Globalization and integration is moving on and will have consequences. But in contrast to England the German team only had German coaches following an old-fashioned team approach, which I like.

Coming back to Sané I think time will play for him. He will further improve under Pep and the German coach, whoever will be in place in some months time, cannot ignore him. Especially if the mission 'get another title' in Russia will fail.
You know the business. The coach would be under pressure to find a way to integrate Sané's quality into the German game.

IF the title could be retained, it certainly would hurt Sané. And it also wouldn't be quite easy for him to come back to the team in autumn on his knees, begging for a return and carrying balls, goals and bags for the big guns only to show his fuckin changed attitude.

So I guess it's save to say now after Sané being dropped and Gündogan being booed,
there might not be too many Blues left having much sympathies for Germany, to put it that way :)
And I do fully understand :)

I rather compared Reus to Sane. Lampard was a fantastic midfielder. Your point about the Germans following an old-fashioned team approach is a good one because the England team has suffered for decades from the worship of certain individuals to the detriment of the team. Gascoigne, Shearer to an extent, Beckham, Rooney, Gerrard and John Terry. All players with serious flaws in their game who were promoted as national heroes (I know...Beckham 98). Too many of those players seemed to be bigger than the team.

England has a problem with coaches in that we don't produce good ones it seems. A long time ago, English coaches were influential on the Continent but that influence has long vanished and English coaches mostly just manage Premier League cannon fodder or Championship teams. The FA either haven't noticed or don't care, or do care but don't know what to do about it. The current England boss is pretty green but he seems a bit different. We'll see. He would play Sane if he could.

Hopefully now the club can get Leroy on an extended and better contract now he’s not at the World Cup!

International football tends to favour pragmatism over idealism, and whilst remembering the winners from previous tournaments, it’s frequently forgotten how the most talented team often perished after one stupid mistake.

West Germany’s greatest football was arguably played in the 1972 European Championships. However, after a few dodgy results in 74, they soon replaced the talented, but flaky Gunter Netzer, with the more dependable Wolfgang Overath.

Rafael Honegstein recently outlined the reasons for Sane’s non-selection, and in all honesty, they made perfect sense. If Sane keeps improving, he’ll be phenomenal ,but for the moment, Germany have more reliable players.

Similarly, Low’s immediate focus is to win the World Cup. He’s not there to build a team for future generations.

Last edited:
Pretty much agree with that. Sane has his eccentric moments but where I differ is that I'm not convinced that he'll find favour even if he improves every aspect of his game.

He'll be back in August determined to improve and work hard. I think he'll learn from this disappointing setback and be even better next year. I can't wait!

Pretty much agree with that. Sane has his eccentric moments but where I differ is that I'm not convinced that he'll find favour even if he improves every aspect of his game.

You won't give up, will ya? :)

In the end it's a relative thing compared to his alternatives on the left wing. He simply will be too good to be ignored.

But I really hope Pep has a strong influence on Leroy's team attitude and has an open word with him to see where he can improve.
On top level you should follow the idea that a strong team is more than the sum of all single parts.

'The team is the star' also helps these young lads to cope with all that star cult and social media hype getting down on their young souls.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.