Riyad Mahrez

Status
Not open for further replies.
I would argue that this would be the most established player we’ve signed since the takeover. Aguero was great but still young, Silva was also good but hadn’t really won anything yet and that Ivorian guy was a Barca reject. Mahrez will become the only former PFA POTY in our squad and has won the league already.
I believe he will be the most clinical of city forwards next season which is the biggest reason city haven't won the champions league yet and this Signing will address it.

Our play is absolutely about stretching the width of the pitch and then bringing balls in from wide. When I use the word "cross" I'm not simply referring to high crosses aimed in high for the head of a convential 6 ft centre forward. We constantly seek to make the pitch as wide as possible then deliver the ball in across the box. Watch our 106 goals this season and take a look at how many result from balls delivered in from wide, either behind or through the defense.

On th left next season we will have Mendy and Sane, two players who have impeccable delivery from wide (whether you want to call them crosses, cutbacks, passes is irrelevant). On the right the width is provided by probably our 2 worst ball players (Walker and Danilo) and Sterling who tends to get very narrow.

Mahrez has a nice pass that can unlock defenses and a good shot from distance, that's great, I think he is a very good player. I don't feel he has anything we don't already have through the centre that Silva, bernardo and de bruyne aren't already capable of providing. All 3 can play a killer pass, both de bruyne and Bernardo have a good shot from distance and de bruyne is excellent from set pieces.

What concerns me more is that teams are going to (and some already did last season) identify that we are much weaker attacking from.the right, and realise that if they double up on Sane and pack the defense centrally, they'll stand a good chance of keeping us out. We already have 3 of the best passers in the league unlocking defenses through the centre, Sterling whose best movement is ussually central as well, and we have sane and mendy to deliver killer balls and run at the defense from the left. From an offensive perspective our right hand side is an obvious weakness. Pep obviously knows what he is doing and he wouldn't be targeting Mahrez without knowing how he wants to use him, but if we just placed all our blind trust in Pep then we may as well just close these forums because there'd be nothing to talk about. My personal belief is that we need another quick player with good delivery from the wide right more than we need another player who'll be playing the ball prinarily through central positions
Teams have massed the defensive ranks against us several times last season, & most of the time it was guile that unlocked them rather than a wide speedster slinging balls into a packed defence.

I don't have blind faith in Pep, I just happen to share his philosophy & agree with him tactically the vast majority of the time (Liverpool x 2 in the CL apart) & we have several records from last season to prove my considered faith was well placed.

Speedsters help against slow, tired defences, but with the bus depots we come across on a weekly basis, it's been a flash of brilliance which has unpicked the tightest defence. Mahrez is an upgrade on the right imo, as he has that natural abilty, pace & speed of thought we require, all of which Sterling & Bernardo lacked at times last season.

There's a reason we're in for Mahrez & if we get him, I can't wait for him to show why...

I hope he does bring an extra dimension to our attack. His talent and quality is undoubted, to me it's just whether he really brings something different to the table for us in attack. I'm looking forward to seeing him in action for us and I hope pep brings out the best in him consistently and even improves him.

Will enable rotation of our wide players to keep the players fresh. Left footed like Sane but normally plays on the right for Leicester. An amazing signing as far as I'm concerned.

Every single good winger purchased from a relatively lesser club from now on is going to be pitched as the potentially new Salah, isn't it? Great times.
You’re right ak and I probably use that comparison as I would love nothing more than to piss all over Liverpool’s fire work.
I know quite a few Leicester fans and even they’re excited to see him in our side.
Not half as excited as me though :))

I would argue that this would be the most established player we’ve signed since the takeover. Aguero was great but still young, Silva was also good but hadn’t really won anything yet and that Ivorian guy was a Barca reject. Mahrez will become the only former PFA POTY in our squad and has won the league already.
Right on the money

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.