Riyad Mahrez

Status
Not open for further replies.
My understanding of this that the poster believes that both City and Salah had above expected seasons and therefore unlikely to repeat to the same levels....which of City or Salah drop most from last seasons high levels to their normal levels is going to have big impact

That's a lot better i almost understand it now.

Haha yes. Basically, it's unlikely for either to maintain or hit the heights of last season. Unlike previous seasons after winning the title, we are getting players to reduce the impact.

Granted it could be wrong and Salah is the new Messi and we have the start of a dominant team of repeat centurions!

Thank you - eloquently penned, and I completely understand and appreciate the symmetry between yourselves and Leicester.

I believe the ONLY difference (money apart) is expectation. We never (nor the rest of the world) saw IT coming but perhaps your first title win was less of a surprise?

Thanks mate. At the start of those respective seasons, 100% we were more expected to win it than you. I think we were about 7/1, whereas you were famously 5000/1.

But as I remember it, your run to the title was a bit of a precession in the end. Didn’t you win it by about 11 points and with a few games to spare? So really from about February / March everyone thought you were going to win it.

Whereas on Easter Sunday, with 4 games to go, we were 8 points behind! To a Ferguson United side who just never choked. Then they lost to Wigan, which was completely unexpected. Then they drew 4-4 at home to Everton, they were 4-2 up with 5 minutes to go, which was unexpected. Then we beat them at home, which with all of the pressure and everything riding on it was unexpected.

So we go in to the final game having made up 8 points in 3 games, only needing to match their result. We go 1-0 up. We had the best home record in Europe that season, we were expected to cruise to the title.

Then we go 2-1 down to the team that is 4th bottom! That was fairly unexpected too! As were the two injury time goals to snatch the title away from them again.

So over the season, yours was more unexpected. But the unexpected moments, the drama of how we won it, particularly given their history as ruthless serial winners and our history of “cups for cock ups”, “Typical City” and “Cityitus”, the way we won it in the end was the most unexpected and dramatic way I can imagine.

“Mean” is basically another way of saying “average”.

So he’s saying Salah and City overachieved last season and will probably return to their normal level next year.
And he is probably right about that. I doubt we will get 100 points again. Less should do it off course. What Salah is concerned he certainly had a season where everything worked for him. I hope he will be less effective next season, because Liverpool will not be able to challenge us unless he repeats his wonder season.

And he is probably right about that. I doubt we will get 100 points again. Less should do it off course. What Salah is concerned he certainly had a season where everything worked for him. I hope he will be less effective next season, because Liverpool will not be able to challenge us unless he repeats his wonder season.

Yeh there’s no chance we’ll get 100 points again. I don’t think any team will in my lifetime.

Salah I’m not so sure. I understand it looks like a fluke season because he’s never apprached that many goals before. But he’s never played in a team like that before which presses so high and is constantly looking to win the ball back high and score goals as quickly as possible before.

He’s ideally suited to Liverpool’s style, i think there’s a good chance he could get 25-30 goals again.

I think it’s going to be a very close and competitive league between us, United and Liverpool next year. Hopefully we should have enough, but climbing the mountain again has been a problem for us.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.