Squash

Had a bit of a go when I was still in Britain in the Forces, but that's ages ago. Have still got the racket, and wouldn't mind getting back into it, although I'd have to start from scratch again. Assume there must be some courts in north Manc.

ctidcarl said:
It's a great sport.

When I was younger I went on a coaching course to learn how to play better.

Then stopped playing for years.

In my mid 20's I played football every weekend, at a decent standard, when a mate challenged me to a game of squash.

I'd not played squash for years, but through regular football, I thought I was pretty fit and accepted (and enjoyed) his challenge.

The next day, I could barely walk!! The aches I had were unreal.... my thighs and bizarrely my buttocks (I know I'm prone to some innuendo's here!!) ached like fook!!

As I said, a great sport and it certainly gets/keeps you fit!!

Locked court, no cameras. Just don't leave a slip hazard

Just picked it up (aged 29) and loving it.

I'm not great with gyms or jogging/running as I find it all too boring, so something competitive and active is ideal.

My fitness had taken a heavy dip between 25-now after two kids, but now I feel as fit as I did about 10 years ago. Had a great game last night that lasted about 1 hour 20 minutes and can barely walk today. I play against a mate who's better than me and playing him twice a week has helped my fitness no end.

Would recommend to anyone who needs some aerobic exercise.

Played from the age of 12 to the age of 50. Then decided it was time to hang up my racquet. I was always very lazy – never bothered with a warm-up or muscle stretching session before going on court, nor a warm-down. Never. Just went out on court, and bang. Hell-for-leather stuff. Now you can get away with that when you're fifteen, twenty. Thirty. Maybe even forty. But fifty's a stretch. I was going out and pulling a muscle straight away, in the first game.
I was an o.k. player, but never had any coaching whatsoever, so I developed bad habits early on which I never got out of my game. Poor positioning, not disguising my shot well enough, that sort of thing. I miss it, though.
In my early thirties, I had a ding-dong year regularly playing an opponent who was 19, and was junior vice-champion of France's national cross-country championships. By God, but he ran me all over the court. I'd play a good boast, catch him on the wrong foot, I'd think, “Right, give me that, that point's mine, come on mate, give up, that's mine…!" and fuck me if he doesn't go and dig it out!! And the rally's got to go on! We'd end up every session on our knees.
He won some, I won some, we ended the year about even. Very, very satisfying.

There's a weird sport called Racquets which, so far as I know, is mainly played in public schools and nowhere else. It's played in a very big indoor court which, where I played, was entirely black. The ball was white, of course, and was solid like a golf ball. I only played it a few times, because the two courts were permanently occupied by seriously good players. As you can imagine, the etiquette of the game was vital. You didn't get right in front of that ball, ever. A shot right to the head could kill you, no problem.

Last edited:
Folk should try Racketball ( or " Squash 57" as England Squash now insist on calling it. )Loads of people play at my club both beginners and ex squash players whose bodies need a slightly more gentle work out. Nothing like public school Raquets. It's played on a squash court with similar rules to squash but a shorter racket and larger more bouncy ball.

Folk should try Racketball ( or " Squash 57" as England Squash now insist on calling it. )Loads of people play at my club both beginners and ex squash players whose bodies need a slightly more gentle work out. Nothing like public school Raquets. It's played on a squash court with similar rules to squash but a shorter racket and larger more bouncy ball.

I played it a couple of times when I lived in Japan. I think it originally started in the U.S. No offence, but honestly, it wasn't for me. The ball seemed to be going everywhere, almost like a pinball machine ball. I like the beauty and grace of squash. It felt to me exactly like the difference between playing pool and snooker.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.