Squash

I played it a couple of times when I lived in Japan. I think it originally started in the U.S. No offence, but honestly, it wasn't for me. The ball seemed to be going everywhere, almost like a pinball machine ball. I like the beauty and grace of squash. It felt to me exactly like the difference between playing pool and snooker.
Probably that would have been the American version played with a very bouncy ball, and rules which include being allowed to hit it off the ceiling of the court which I agree is more like pinball. The UK version is much more similar to squash in its rules and game play.
Google Daryl Selby v Matt Pugh Racketball for an e.g.

The Manchester open is on at the moment and being played at the National Squash centre on the Etihad campus
I went last night to watch the ladies quarter finals, with the tournament's top seed being the world number three
I'm definitely going back to watch it next year, it really was fantastic
$70,000 for the winner of the ladies tournament

Played from the age of 12 till 50. Wasn't ever coached, taught myself, and picked up bad habits that I never got out of my game. Wasn't a bad player, but I relied a lot on haring round the court, rather than dominating the T and disguising my shots.
At 50 I thought it was really time to hang up the racket. Unless you're a genuinely good player, it's a young man's game, by and large. I was starting to play against opponents who were fully twenty years younger than me, or more. One great year in my early thirties when my main opponent was a lad of nineteen who was French junior cross country vice-champion. Oh but we had some ding dong battles. You'd put in a boast shot that was dying perfectly off the front wall, and you'd think "Come on, mate, there's no way you can get that, just give me the point already!" and fuck me, he'd hare up to the front and dig it out. And on the rally would go. Sometimes I won, sometimes he did, but either way, we knew we'd been in a game in which every point was fought for between two savage dogs.
It's a great sport, when you come off that court dripping in sweat, knowing you've given it your best. Still miss it. Love hiking, but that doesn't quite do it…

Edit: sorry, just realised I posted very much the same thing one year ago, here. Ah well.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.