Best Live Bands?

Seen some great live bands ..... Lynyrd Skynyrd 75, 76 take some beating. As does Ramones 78, 80, Thin Lizzy 77, Queen 74, 75, 76, 77, 79, Tom Petty & The Heartbreakers '82, Ian McNabb/Icicle Works have played some epic gigs too. Most recent band to blow me away has been Ryan Hamilton & The Traitors ... two gigs this year been fantastic.

But I never thought seeing Prince 'in the round' on his Lovesexy 88 Tour at Brum NEC could ever be topped. But it was on Feb 21st (me birthday!) 2014 ..... Manchester Academy, by the man again, Prince. Perfect gig in every way for me.

Seen AC/DC about 7-8 times going back to Bon Scott days & they are always a really great night out but never 'that' good to be mentioned amongst the best for me. A nice filler.

People mentioning Rory G, yep. Right up there. Some of his gigs were a bit less magical than others due to the venues (Palace Theatre etc) but in the right place, wonderful & unique.

Slade at Donnington ? Great yes. But Slade at Reading, prior to that, better by at least 200%. Wiped the floor with all the 'wasp in a jam jar' heavy metal bands & went down like City v QPR.

Stones right up there every time.
BB King.
Rainbow with Graham Bonnet (tit but was brilliant, Richie best guitar show/ performance I've seen).

Zeppelin at Knebworth, best atmosphere I've even been in (like about 5 Wembleys). Blue Oyster Cult bizarre but brilliant.

Horrible racist, right wing twat but Ted Nugent in about '75 100% louder than anything else I've ever heard since (including Ted Nugent 80s) & unsurpassable for hard rock violence/danger.

Katzenjammer. Wonderful.

I've seen loads of wonderfully talented musicians in different genres & loads of great hard rock/heavy bands, but I recon I'd have to go with Slade at Reading.

Most people thought it was a joke when it was announced they had replaced Ozzy Osbourne.
Bit they had 40k people having more fun, than I can remember at any other gig & sounded like they had five times the p.a. system all the other bands played through. Remarkable.

"Turn it oop Charlie"

Weeell, now, if you get me on to this…!
Obviously a question of generational differences here. I kind of stopped going to gigs beyond the eighties, with one or two exceptions (Page and Plant in Lyon, 1995). So I don't know your stuff, as far as most of you go, live. But in my heyday, I went to a cartload, from about the end of the sixties through till the mid eighties.
Special mentions:
First gig ever: the Rolling Stones, about 1964, Harrow Granada. They would have been pretty good, I think, if I had been able to hear a single blessed thing. Screaming girls drowned out everything. An entire auditorium of Teenage Maenads. Frightening atmosphere, really. Exhilarating, too, even for the ten-year-old that I was (taken by big brother!) Mick had good moves. Keith looked as rough as he does now, if not more so. Charlie cool as you like. He always is.
Stunning gig at Malvern Winter Gardens: Taste, opening, followed by Deep Purple. My ears rang for fully twenty-four hours. No problem about hearing either band. Taste were fully as good as Ritchie Blackmore and his merry men. That must have been in late 69 or early 70. I suppose I could look all this stuff up if I could be arsed. But I've got a good memory, and I trust it.
All of Wishbone Ash's gigs, starting with the one at Sheffield City Hall, opening for Mott The Hoople. They made it impossible for MTH to follow them. Hitched over Snake Pass with a mate to see that one, and kipped on the floor of a hall of residence room at Sheffield Uni. That must have been in winter of 70-71. I then saw them four more times, I think. Once at a pub in Leytonstone (east London), the Red Lion. Once at Free Trade Hall. Once at Lyceum (London). That one was special – with a special girl. One last time at Roundhouse (London), about 1974. As with no other band I've seen, they had a gift for getting the crowd absolutely raving.
Zep at Manchester Uni, Students Union building, early 71. Nothing really needs to be said. Still, in many ways, the ultimate rock group for me. Although much of their best work was still to come.
Pretenders in Tokyo, 85, maybe 86. That Chrissie…

Overall, I've always said that the best live band I ever saw was probably Colosseum. Saw them about five times over a three year period, from 71 to 74. And I was at the free gig at Manchester Uni, when they recorded the Colosseum Live double album. I reckon I'm in one of the photos on the inside fold-out, visible only from the back (well, could be me…) Not everybody's taste in music, obviously, but when they got going they were just flying. I don't think I've seen any band in which each member was being spurred on by the others to be at the top of his game. They just took huge pleasure in each other's musicianship.

Going to see Mott The Hoople at the end of June at Ramblin Man Fair in Maidstone

http://www.ramblinmanfair.com/

Seen AC/DC about 7-8 times going back to Bon Scott days & they are always a really great night out but never 'that' good to be mentioned amongst the best for me. A nice filler.

People mentioning Rory G, yep. Right up there. Some of his gigs were a bit less magical than others due to the venues (Palace Theatre etc) but in the right place, wonderful & unique.

Slade at Donnington ? Great yes. But Slade at Reading, prior to that, better by at least 200%. Wiped the floor with all the 'wasp in a jam jar' heavy metal bands & went down like City v QPR.

Stones right up there every time.
BB King.
Rainbow with Graham Bonnet (tit but was brilliant, Richie best guitar show/ performance I've seen).

Zeppelin at Knebworth, best atmosphere I've even been in (like about 5 Wembleys). Blue Oyster Cult bizarre but brilliant.

Horrible racist, right wing twat but Ted Nugent in about '75 100% louder than anything else I've ever heard since (including Ted Nugent 80s) & unsurpassable for hard rock violence/danger.

Katzenjammer. Wonderful.

I've seen loads of wonderfully talented musicians in different genres & loads of great hard rock/heavy bands, but I recon I'd have to go with Slade at Reading.

Most people thought it was a joke when it was announced they had replaced Ozzy Osbourne.
Bit they had 40k people having more fun, than I can remember at any other gig & sounded like they had five times the p.a. system all the other bands played through. Remarkable.

"Turn it oop Charlie"

Never seen BB or Katzenjammer but seen all the other bands mentioned multiple times.

First time I saw Slade was at club on Oxford Road in what used to be the Gaumont cinema; after they were huge and IIRC before their major revival. They were fun.

Zep at Knebworth is in my all time top ten gigs.

Blue Oyster Cult were one of the first bands I ever saw - didn't know much about them that first time and couldn't believe it when all five of the band played guitar. Saw them in L.A. in 1981 and they had rather large Godzilla on stage at one point.

Saw Rainbow with Bonnet five times on their tour but I thought the best show I saw from them was with Dio at the FTH. Blackmore was generally amazing at all the shows in that period.

Seen Ted a few times and he is really good in concert. Last time I saw him was at the Astoria in IIRC late 90's and they used to have a gay disco there one night a week; well you can imagine how impressed Ted was by that. Not a PC individual but he can rock a Gibson.

Pentangle were great !

God you’re a lucky man to have seen them. Where? And when?
I got to see Bert Jansch solo, years after they’d broken up. A consummate acoustic guitarist, as many have said.

Still thinking about this. Al Stewart was a far better guitarist than many realised. I saw him four or five times. And I’m pretty sure that the very first time was at Owens Park hall of residence, in a room that was basically the dining room or something (maybe 1969 or 1970?). No stage or rostrum, just him sat on a chair .Couldn’t have been more than about thirty of us. It was just a man singing and talking for his friends. A beautiful gig indeed.

Never seen BB or Katzenjammer but seen all the other bands mentioned multiple times.

First time I saw Slade was at club on Oxford Road in what used to be the Gaumont cinema; after they were huge and IIRC before their major revival. They were fun.

Zep at Knebworth is in my all time top ten gigs.

Blue Oyster Cult were one of the first bands I ever saw - didn't know much about them that first time and couldn't believe it when all five of the band played guitar. Saw them in L.A. in 1981 and they had rather large Godzilla on stage at one point.

Saw Rainbow with Bonnet five times on their tour but I thought the best show I saw from them was with Dio at the FTH. Blackmore was generally amazing at all the shows in that period.

Seen Ted a few times and he is really good in concert. Last time I saw him was at the Astoria in IIRC late 90's and they used to have a gay disco there one night a week; well you can imagine how impressed Ted was by that. Not a PC individual but he can rock a Gibson.

The great thing about Blue Oyster Cult, is that they were totally taking the piss, and many people did't realise it, hence the drummer wearing the huge dinosaur head back in those days, the five guitars, Eric Bloom riding Harleys across the stage (then copied by support band Judas Priest which ended with Bob Halford in the orchestra pit/hospital) but they were great players, their tunes back then, wonderfully quirky & the sometimes piss taking lyrics ( many written by the then manager) often hilarious. But great musically, all the same. The light show they used to use, was the best I saw & totally without health & safety back then (rockets hitting the ceiling at the Apollo & exploding). Those were the days.

God you’re a lucky man to have seen them. Where? And when?
I got to see Bert Jansch solo, years after they’d broken up. A consummate acoustic guitarist, as many have said.

Still thinking about this. Al Stewart was a far better guitarist than many realised. I saw him four or five times. And I’m pretty sure that the very first time was at Owens Park hall of residence, in a room that was basically the dining room or something (maybe 1969 or 1970?). No stage or rostrum, just him sat on a chair .Couldn’t have been more than about thirty of us. It was just a man singing and talking for his friends. A beautiful gig indeed.
Free Trade Hall about 1970
John Renbourne was a stand out, worked well with Jansch

I think the best ever gig I’ve seen was Alter bridge at the royal Albert Hall with an orchestra. Utterly amazing gig.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.