World Cup 2018 | 15th June Matches | Next Match: Portugal vs Spain, KO 19:00 (BST)

He missed the previous 44 not 43, and it was still a great free kick and he did score a hatrick in a group game against Spain.

My point is more about what he did yesterday hardly a standout performance of beautiful flowing football and deserving of eulogy.

I thought the game was brilliant and perfectly showed the Gulf in class all the home countries suffer from. None of the home teams produce enough class players.

The technique and movement was a joy to watch as we wave them all goodbye as they disappear over the horizon.

Got a good feeling about this tournament. Apart from not fucking being there. Again.

He missed the previous 44 not 43, and it was still a great free kick and he did score a hatrick in a group game against Spain.

My point is more about what he did yesterday hardly a standout performance of beautiful flowing football and deserving of eulogy.
I said “43 at previous tournaments” because he missed one in the 1st half last night which makes 44 if you’re being pedantic.

Some of Portugal’s counter attacking, led by him, ended in nothing because of the young striker who at one point completely miscontrolled a Ronaldo pass.

Portugal were under the cosh for large spells against a better team but he managed to score 3 and salvage a draw. Had he played for Spain, he’d have ripped the game up because of better quality players around him.

I can’t stand the fucker but let’s not pretend he’s not put in the stand out performance of the World Cup so far because he missed a free kick against Hungary two years ago.

It was a penalty all day long.

It was a penalty he engineered, which a well known ex FIFA referee, had said just the night before, isn't a penalty (in spite of giving loads of them himself during his career, when he felt like it). The guy was trying really hard, to avoid fouling Ronaldo, but had made the stupid mistake of planting his leg so he got his body out of the way but the leg was there, albeit only slightly extended, for Ronaldo to bump into. If Ronaldo had wanted, he could have run straight past him, with the ball, like he was pretending to try & do but leave a leg & Ron will find it. We must have had 50 of those not given last season & a couple of bookings.

So already, we have the proof that v.a.r. depends on who you are & what they fancy giving, rather than any consistant interpretation.

Nev, you're the lad shouting at the cloud. Don't worry, we'll ban VAR and it'll stop Ronaldo manufacturing fouls when defenders commit to tackles. No VAR, No underhanded tactics. It's all sorted.

We don't have to ban v.a,r. because Manchester Utd have already shouted at the same cloud.

If they continue to see pens given to Ronaldo but lesser mortals pleas ignored, they will feel comfortable it will suit them, & vote it in.

At themoment, they are worried it might actually be interpreted fairly, which would have cost them about ten titles & a couple of Champions Leagues (& probably had Liverpool mid table in half their recent 'istree'). I don't think they need worry.

He was unreal last nite Spain's best player in my honest opinion was involved in all their dangerous play think he was underated by the commentary team they sung the praise of Costa, iniesta and isco rightfully so but think merlin deserved more credit.

It was a penalty he engineered, which a well known ex FIFA referee, had said just the night before, isn't a penalty (in spite of giving loads of them himself during his career, when he felt like it). The guy was trying really hard, to avoid fouling Ronaldo, but had made the stupid mistake of planting his leg so he got his body out of the way but the leg was there, albeit only slightly extended, for Ronaldo to bump into. If Ronaldo had wanted, he could have run straight past him, with the ball, like he was pretending to try & do but leave a leg & Ron will find it. We must have had 50 of those not given last season & a couple of bookings.

So already, we have the proof that v.a.r. depends on who you are & what they fancy giving, rather than any consistant interpretation.
I've always said that penalties, yes or no, are completely random.

There were times when he looked isolated as Isco was given the freedom to roam from the centre and Silva was often marginalised on the right - but of course when he came inside he did so at the right times and made a difference. In the second half he seemed to have more freedom to roam and that created the second goal. When Iniesta went off he slotted back into his position and pulled the strings. Not sure he was Spain's best player - that was probably Isco - but what Silva did was play for the team and for the system and his versatility meant he played in three different roles - whereas others disappeared as they tried (and failed) to see the game out.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.