Best Live Bands?

I have seen a lot of bands (far to many to remember tbh), but one of the bands that stood out and I will never forget was Simple minds.
They aren't a band that I particularly like and I have never owned any of their albums but they absolutely blew me away live.
I saw them in Toronto and then again in Paris.
Another worthy mention would be The Mighty Mighty Bosstones but nothing will compare to The Clash, Buzzcocks, Penetration and Siouxsie as a 14 year old in Manchester.

The great thing about Blue Oyster Cult, is that they were totally taking the piss, and many people did't realise it, hence the drummer wearing the huge dinosaur head back in those days, the five guitars, Eric Bloom riding Harleys across the stage (then copied by support band Judas Priest which ended with Bob Halford in the orchestra pit/hospital) but they were great players, their tunes back then, wonderfully quirky & the sometimes piss taking lyrics ( many written by the then manager) often hilarious. But great musically, all the same. The light show they used to use, was the best I saw & totally without health & safety back then (rockets hitting the ceiling at the Apollo & exploding). Those were the days.

I don’t think they took themselves too seriously. Some of their lyrics were indeed mad but boy could they play. Donald Roeser is one of the most underrated lead guitarists.

They did put on a show. I’m sure they had a fireball effect second time I saw them at the FTH that I’ve never seen recreated so maybe I imaginec it. Definitely first band I saw use lasers.

They were deffo taking piss when the drummer (whose drumsticks I have a pair of) played with a Godzilla mask on: as noted earlier, they had a full Godzilla model in the US show.

Free Trade Hall about 1970
John Renbourne was a stand out, worked well with Jansch

So in fact almost exactly round about the time of the Take Three Girls series. That series did a lot for them, and they a lot for it. Pentangle's music was perfectly the end of the decade, and on the cusp of the new one, if you know what I mean. Just like the series. Even as a fifteen-year-old I could feel that. It still annoys me that the Beeb threw away or otherwise mislaid the recordings of that series.

I don’t think they took themselves too seriously. Some of their lyrics were indeed mad but boy could they play. Donald Roeser is one of the most underrated lead guitarists.

They did put on a show. I’m sure they had a fireball effect second time I saw them at the FTH that I’ve never seen recreated so maybe I imaginec it. Definitely first band I saw use lasers.

They were deffo taking piss when the drummer (whose drumsticks I have a pair of) played with a Godzilla mask on: as noted earlier, they had a full Godzilla model in the US show.

He did a drum solo, with a 6ft monster's head, under strobe lights, started playing a fast double bassdrum which they put through an echo box then speeded it up, so.it sounded like he wws playing so fast, it was a bee buzzing, complete with shit monster roaring noises in the background.

Fucking hilarious.

He did a drum solo, with a 6ft monster's head, under strobe lights, started playing a fast double bassdrum which they put through an echo box then speeded it up, so.it sounded like he wws playing so fast, it was a bee buzzing, complete with shit monster roaring noises in the background.

Fucking hilarious.

Saw Mr Bouchard do the snare roll bass drum roll party piece on a few tours, with and without the head gear.

Just a heads up, Slayer will be playing the Manchester Arena on Nov 9th, they're claiming it's their last tour, I'm sure it won't be but for some brain crunching metal, pretty good live

Wilko Johnsons Solid Senders were awesome, now I'm an old fart I loved Leonard Cohen.

Devo free trade hall 78 first time I'd seen music video used before they came on stage

I have seen a lot of bands (far to many to remember tbh), but one of the bands that stood out and I will never forget was Simple minds.
They aren't a band that I particularly like and I have never owned any of their albums but they absolutely blew me away live.
I saw them in Toronto and then again in Paris.
Another worthy mention would be The Mighty Mighty Bosstones but nothing will compare to The Clash, Buzzcocks, Penetration and Siouxsie as a 14 year old in Manchester.

Only just read this, after idaho just bumped the thread - what years were those Simple Minds gigs? only asking as I'm a big fan of the band, hand seen them live a number of times, and have heard recordings from most of their tours. I'd be interested to know when you saw them, as for me there has been a huge variation over the years in how they sounded, the arrangements of certain songs, the set length and the overall 'feel' of the shows.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.