What did the kids do before the internet?

Hillock Estate, whitefield.
I must be getting old, I remember that estate being built. Spent many a happy day on there playing in the unfinished houses and flats. Originally it was just a pub (The Albert?) surrounded by the network of roads. Full of people learning to drive every evening.

Never mind the kids, I can't imagine what my 66 year old mother would do without the internet, she literally spends 6-8 hours a day sat gawping at it despite being fit and healthy and having plenty of friends.

Street cricket (lamp post for wickets), footy (jumpers for goal posts), kerby, wall-y against the old factory by warehouses off Bury New Rd, stone wars, knock-a-door run. Estate fights, sega megadrive, watchin VHS films, cinema at the old odeon on deansgate. Bury for Roxy nights (students nights "the dogs bollocks"). House parties. Firework wars. Stoning windows of rundown factories. Drinking Alpine from the Alpine man every summer. Loafing round the Arndale to chat up girls. Sunday Market at bottom of waterloo rd and watchin the gypsies have bare knuckle boxing fights on the croft at the bottom if Fairy Lane. Plenty more...

Last edited:
Today's kids aren't allowed out of the house. We weren't allowed into the fucker, only for meals and bed

This is so true. :)

My mother would cheerfully instruct us to go and play with the buses.

And that was when bus spotting wasn’t as populist as it is now.

She was ahead of her time.

The problem with kids is not the kids. It’s our generation and younger ones forgetting that the things we admired about our parents, ie, they took absolutely no shit from us. They let us grow up and learn shit, sometimes the hard way.

A lot of people let their kids set the tone.

If I had attempted such a strategy as a nipper, I would have been instantly travelling across the floor at high speed.

Kids aren’t allowed out for more than ten fucking minutes before an alarm goes up on FB.

It’s not the kids fault they’re spoiled little cunts. It’s the adults who spoil them.

You wouldn’t even think of giving your dad or mum an earful. Or your neighbours, as this would lead to an utter tanking.

If my dad gave me the stare, I Fucking knew I was dicing.

I didn’t need, or Indeed ever get, two stares in a row. My dad was very particular about that rule. And to be fair to myself, I picked up the gist of the situation rather quickly.

If you walked around any estate back in the 90s/(early) 00s you'd see kids out everywhere. Now, I barely see anyone under the age of 30!!

Football (Wembley, heads and volleys), Three Whip, Knock-a-door run, building dens/swings, egging houses, cricket/tennis, Nintendo (turtles, Mario, etc), Sega (Sonic, MJ, Alex the kid, etc), PC (Tomb Raider, FIFA, Dune).

These were all great activities before the Internet came in.

My childhood was the late 50s/early 60s in Ashton.
Under 10 - sliding down the hill on Park Parade on a flattened cardboard box taken from the back of Littlewoods shop - no sledges in summer.
Breaking into the abandoned air-raid shelters there to see what had been left, by taking a piece of broken glass to the mortar and being very patient.
Logging for firewood at the timber yard where Asda is now - until the local copper caught us and gave us a clip round the ear!
Over 10 - swimming in the river at Daisy Nook (moved to Ashton Moss at 11).
Football/cricket/running on the playing fields.
Train spotting - the main line ran past the estate.
Climbing trees wherever possible.
Didn't get a phone/colour tele until the late 60s.

To paraphrase: who'd a thought, 50 year ago.................

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.