Donald Trump

Status
Not open for further replies.
It is. The are building man made islands to create land and claim territorial waters.

And we gave them Diego Garcia.

But again, that’s another thread and not Trump related.

Agreed it is, though whether an Island existed before is not the point.

As for Diego Garcia, it was a case of one old knackered imperial power handing an Island it "acquired" over to its successor, the people of Diego Garcia had no say in it.

And what’s my narrative?

It does still stand, as nothing or nobody has even come close to staging a coup, there’s absolutely no evidence it’s even been attempted.

Here's west didsblue's link -- interesting reading.

http://www.atimes.com/article/north...resilience-and-coup-resistance/?cn-reloaded=1

I'd note that, as a student of Watergate, Nixon himself was concerned about a coup and mused over bringing in the Army to protect himself during the darkest days of 1974. And even his closest staff -- Al Haig in particular -- was worried about "forcing" a resignation being perceived as a coup by history, and very much wanted/needed Nixon to reach his decision about resignation of his own accord. Point is -- coups are tricky things. Absolutism in defining them seems a mistake.

Of course it is. the USA build bases on land owned by others, probably paying them well to do so.

China are building an island in international waters. and then claiming it as there own, including the 12 mile radius of water around it, then adding a base on that island.

This is closer to Argentina claiming the Falklands just because its closer to them than us, than the USA building bases on other countries territory.

It is an emerging power exerting its authority over what it considers its region of influence and banging up against its weaker neighbours and the global reach of super power USA.

http://www.atimes.com/article/north...resilience-and-coup-resistance/?cn-reloaded=1

I'd note that, as a student of Watergate, Nixon himself was concerned about a coup and mused over bringing in the Army to protect himself during the darkest days of 1974. And even his closest staff -- Al Haig in particular -- was worried about "forcing" a resignation being perceived as a coup by history, and very much wanted/needed Nixon to reach his decision about resignation of his own accord. Point is -- coups are tricky things. Absolutism in defining them seems a mistake.
Fake news.

Agreed it is, though whether an Island existed before is not the point.

As for Diego Garcia, it was a case of one old knackered imperial power handing an Island it "acquired" over to its successor, the people of Diego Garcia had no say in it.
There were no people in Diego Garcia until the late 1700’s and even then, they were Europeans.(Although you’re right about when we got rid of the inhabitants in the 60’s without their say)

I’ll look at the link when I get home.

What I will say, bearing in mind I can’t read the link until tonight is, North Korea has never happened anywhere else as a political construct, no one has ever managed such a totalitarian and brainwashed state. It is big brother. I just think comparing the possibility of coups elsewhere isn’t logical.

I’ll look at the link when I get home.

What I will say, bearing in mind I can’t read the link until tonight is, North Korea has never happened anywhere else as a political construct, no one has ever managed such a totalitarian and brainwashed state. It is big brother. I just think comparing the possibility of coups elsewhere isn’t logical.
Rubbish.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_totalitarian_regimes
North Korea is by no means unique and will come to a sticky end eventually like all the rest. It may be 5 years, 10 years or 50 years but it will happen.

no one has ever managed such a totalitarian and brainwashed state. It is big brother. I just think comparing the possibility of coups elsewhere isn’t logical.
To be fair, so was Nazi Germany and several inner circle Nazi’s had a go, although it didn’t end well for them, including the hugely respected and trusted Rommel.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.