Media persecution of Raheem Sterling

Sterling's main problem is that when playing for England he's played out of position and he's playing with much inferior players than he's used too.
No matter what he does or how well he plays ( or not ) the media will slag him off because he left the Dippers and will always be the fall guy for the fuckers.
He runs with the ball and loses it...then he's run into a dead end and he's crap ( media talk )...Rashford does the same run with same result then he's lighting up the game with his pace and fearlessness ( media talk ).
Raz should tell England he's not interested in playing for them any more ...

To be fair, i didn't think Jesus did much, a bit disappointed in him.
That wasn't my point.

My point was that people were ultra quick to jump on his back in particular, and the reason for some of this stems from the fact that he's playing ahead of a popular player from one of England's major sides.

3 questions regarding sterling last are all that need answering.

1. Did sterling have a great game last night?

2. Was he the worst player performance of the night on chances missed?

3. Should he be singled out above others who underperformed in the headlines and analysis?

All 3 questions answer should be no if the coverage was fair unfortunately Q3 is a yes to most england fans and media.

And that is why it's a pisstake, he wasn't great,no one is claiming he was, but wasn't the worst, yet has been again sigled out.

Anyone defending this treatment of singling him out is in the wrong imho.

Yup this is pretty much it. We’re not blindly saying he played with our fingers in our ears.

There is absolutely no way he should have got namechecked in that BBC sport headline for starters, nevermind any other media outlets.

The thing is I don’t think he can change it, even if he plays well for a period of time it will only take 1 poor game and they’ll be back at it.

Fans over here have been conditioned to dislike Sterling since he left Liverpool, you only have to look at the reception he gets at other grounds to realise this.

It’s pretty ridiculous really that a young lad has been subjected to it.

I can see where you are coming from mate, and you're thinking 'what has his, his and his, performances got to do with Sterling having a bad game?'
But the issue is the relentless Sterling bashing by the media. Yesterday he missed a sitter, so they will argue it's justified but there was no mention of other player's missed chances. Lingard missed a hat full but apparently he's allowed to.
Some have mentioned here that Spurs fans and even reds have said sterling's treatment is unfair, so it's not about wearing blue tinted glasses.

You’re right, it isn’t in the grand scheme of things, because Sterling has been mercilessly and unfairly pilloried by the media from the moment he opted to leave Candlepool for us. However, I’m struggling to find much evidence of “Sterling bashing” in respect of last night’s performance in the media today. Indeed the online versions of the Fail and the Mirror, which along with the Sun, are the biggest anti-Sterling clickbait merchants on the planet, currently have no stories on the lad that I can see, and any criticism elsewhere has been broadly justifiable on the grounds that he was at best average last night and at worst poor. He yet again miskicked in front of an empty net from 6 yards, he trod on the ball and fell over, he ran up blind alleys on at least 4 occasions until he stumbled into an opponent and was dispossessed, he twice took heavy touches (losing the ball in the process) when running unchallenged at the last defender, and he turned backwards with the ball rather than try and burn the lone covering defender at least twice more. The best defences I’ve heard for that lot have been “but he wasn’t as bad as Alli or Lingard” (as if being on a par with those two were an accolade), and “he’s not got good players around him like he has at City”.
The system England engaged didn’t help, nor did the role Southgate handed him, and in all honesty it must have been fucking difficult concentrating with a gazillion mozzies in your eyes, ears and mouth every two seconds, but some of his control last night had nothing to do with any of those factors. Realistically though, unless Southgate revisits his thinking as to where he might get the best out of Raheem, then I don’t think we’ll see him do himself justice until he’s back at City. Barring a few undeserved words of praise for Rashford however, who also failed to do anything of real note, the criticism of the criticism (if you see what I mean) of Sterling today on here has been over the top IMO

Last edited:
Sterling's in a unique position too in that he'll only escape criticism if he plays excellently, whereas others would need to have a real stinker before they were particularly targeted.

Maguire, Walker, Alli, Lingard and Young all made errors/misplays throughout the night but their performances were generally ranging from ok to not awful and they've not been crucified over it. Which is how it should be in fairness and we should have a positive slant on things.

But the real kicker right now is that it's NOT the media lining up to criticise Sterling. Newspapers and pundits alike have been mostly sympathetic and barring the odd few not many have called for him to be dropped. Even the normally quick to make a story out of it Metro paper rated him as having flashes of good moments. Which is better than harsh criticism.

The people calling for him to be dropped are the fans. The man in the pub. Your United supporting colleague. The online community. The people naive enough to have been brainwashed by the media campaign against him and not realise it. Many of the same people who think The Sun took it too far are the same people demanding for Rashford after 5 minutes.

I often mention Jesus alongside Sterling, because it's the people that think all Jesus does is run around and score tap ins tend to think the only thing Sterling does is fall over and miss tap ins. I know I'll get 100 quotes telling me I'm an idiot solely for this next comment, but Pogba is a similarly picked on player and people tend to eat it up.

Sterling's going to have to pull a Rocky IV moment (in Russia no less) before the fans get on side. If he has a 7/10 game the pundits will be gentle but the fans will crucify him nonetheless. And he'd need an 9/10 game before he gets any praise.

Sometimes I wonder if his life would be easier if were dropped, but they'd probably blame him for not replicating his club form.

tl;dr The media have clearly backed off, it's the fans that are the problem.

He did plenty but the show pony neymar doesn't pass to him half the time,tries to win the game on his own
Willian and especially Coutinho too.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.