Riyad Mahrez

Status
Not open for further replies.
You would expect us to have some "talent spotters" in North Africa though.
I imagine we do. Riyad Mahrez however, never played in North Africa (other than for the national team). Your other example, Salah, did play in Egypt for a while but he was far from our level for a long time and 4 transfers and 2 loans before we got Liverpool Salah. Chelsea managed to spot him at Basel and look where it got them.

The more I think about it, the more it seems to me that the Jorginho and Mahrez transfers are linked, strategically. The fact that we've bargained, and bargained very hard, with Napoli and De Laurentiis, and got him down to a very reasonable price for what seems like a genuinely class defensive midfielder, sends out a strong signal to Leicester (and whoever else we may be dealing with up the road). The days when His Highness had to shell out silly money to get name players to come to little old City are definitively in the past.

If the perceived stalling of negotiations prevent him from joining up on time for pre season then we can safely assume there is a problem with the deal..

The problem for Leicester is they last seasons market seems to have gone away. You can’t cite Sanchez, Pogba, Dembele or Coutinho imo when that kind of money isn’t being spent. Fekir was mid 50s, Lemar around 60. Lamar was rumored at 90 last season. I don’t think the market has cratered and you can debate Mahrez in relation to these and other players but their valuation being pegged to last transfer season is a mistake
So a man with two goals and eight assists in a poorer league is the same price as someone who gets more than that playing in a defensive premier league team. You pay a premium because it's not even a risk. He's proven and in his prime.

If this was the other way around and Mahrez played for Monaco and Lemar played for Leicester, I'm convinced nobody on here would give a hoot about paying £70m+ for him, whilst Lemar at Leicester you'd all say wasn't worth more than £25m.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.