World Cup 2018 | 24th June Matches | Next Match: Poland vs Colombia, KO 19:00 (BST)

MCFC1993

There is already an England thread in the forum for the Panama game so keep an eye out for that.

Sorry to half arse it tonight because I'm out and about, so I'll just list the games and add the write up tomorrow.

JAPAN VS SENEGAL

Match kicks off at 16:00 (BST). Coverage begins at 15:30 (BST). Present ted by Mark Chapman, analysis from Phil Neville, Didier Drogba and Pablo Zabaleta, commentary from Simon Brotherton and Kevin Kilbane.

Japan started their World Cup campaign with an impressive 2-1 win over Colombia. They were helped by an early Colombian red card and they struggled in the 1st half to take advantage but their 2nd half performance was more than deserving of the 3 points. Think they're going to need to be better in this game if they are to do the same. Honda may start, his set piece delivery could cause Senegal a big threat and surely Okazaki is good enough for a place in the starting XI.

Goal scorers so far:
Kagawa (1), Osako (1).

Senegal started this tournament in great form beating Poland 2-1. Coming into this tournament as some peoples dark horses to go far, a win here would almost seal qualification to the knock out rounds. They have pace all over the pitch as typified with their 2nd goal, where Niang burst away from everyone. They're favourites to win this game and I'd expect them to win it fairly comfortably. Senegal will look to try and use their pace to get in behind Japan.

Goal scorers so far:
Niang (1), Own Goal (1).

POLAND VS COLOMBIA

Match kicks off at 19:00 (BST). Coverage begins at 18:15 (BST). Mark Pougatch presents, analysis from Gary Neville, Roy Keane and Ian Wright, commentary from Jon Champion and Ally McCoist.

Poland come into this game on the back of a 2-1 defeat by Senegal. They were exposed by individual errors and a lack of pace at the back. The scoreline looked better than they performed as their goal was purely a consolation. Lewandowski was completely anonymous which was surprising given how well he did in qualifying, he has to be better in this game or he'll be going home early. Poland really need to win.

Goal scorers so far:
Krychowiak (1).

Colombia are in the same situation, after a 2-1 defeat to Japan in their first game, they really can't afford to lose here today. Their defeat was a little less of an issue given it was hugely influenced by an early red card. They still managed to outperform Japan for the majority of the first half and you got the feeling that with 11 men they would have dispatched them comfortably. Colombia will be hoping James Rodriguez is fit today, he didn't start the last game and he was missed.

Goal scorers so far:
Quintero (1).

Last edited:
Updated the OP, finished the write ups for the later games.

There is a separate thread for the England game though.

If this ends in a draw, and Colombia beat Poland this evening, the Poles are toast. Which would make work fun tomorrow A Polish fella saying before the tournament that he was looking forward to Poland playing England in the knockout stages, and what Poland were going to do to us!

*edit* Just checked the group H table. If either side wins this game, and Colombia win this evening, the Poles are also gone in that scenario, I think

Horrific defending and keeping for that goal, but Senegal don’t care and it’s points for my fantasy league team.

Just popped in from the garden in time to to see the goal. Goal for the Dipper but owes the keeper a pint.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.