Taking Toddlers to Games

So, my lad was born in August 2006, he's had a season ticket since birth. My mates lad used the ticket until I started taking him to a game when he was 18 months old. Used to bring a small football and my daughter used to take him on the concourse with the ball when he was bored. He's City mad, seen us win the league 3 times, been to Wembley goodness knows how many times. He only knows City as being good. My daughter on the other hand, who is 23, remembers when we were sh1£, two completely different perspectives. When Utd beat us 3-2, he was devastated, as was I, whereas my daughter put perspective on it. 'Dad, we used to get beat every week, we were lucky if we scored', 'we're 13 points in front of them and they're celebrating like they've won the league. You told me when I was younger to get used to us being sh1£, well Dad, I'm happy with how sh1£ we are now'

And then I realised why I had brainwashed her from a young age. #proudDad

Anyone any tips - I won't be able to take my 1 year old yet (well, he's 21 months), he's still not ready (long health story) but would like to have taken him in before he's 5 (while it's free!) for a one off go on my knee in my season ticket seat. He's 21 months but regularly i get people i don't even know when out asking me "why is that 3 year old not walking/talking/feeding himself" etc etc by mean people.. point is he always gets mistaken for 3, once for a 4 year old. As he's so tall and big.

So i can imagine when the day comes i can hopefully take him in to a match, maybe when he's 3 or 4, he'll look about 6 and some jobsworth will stop me at the turnstiles (same with free tram travel for under 5s!) - does anyone know if there's any official photo ID you can get for an under 5 as daft as that sounds?? Obvs wouldn't get it yet.

You'll be fine ;)

Taking a toddler to a match is a fucking nightmare in my experience. Excruciating experience and makes the match feel about 5 hours long.

And that's just for the people sat next to, and in front of, the little feckers being kicked all game because they won't keep still.

I've taken my my girl twice when she was 3 it was great but hard work! Don't expect to watch much of the game.

Things to keep in mind:

Loud noise. Some kids just don't like it. My girl was fine but other kids get freaked out.
They have to sit on your knee unless you pay for another ticket. There is not much room and a squirming child who gets bored is hard work.
Take plenty of snacks, sweets, games on your phone, anything to keep them occupied. I got to 10 mins before she was bored. And that was 10 mins of the players warm up before the game started.
Toilet trips, nuff said.
There is a parent and child changing area near the east and family stand
You'll need enough space under your seat to keep all the paraphernalia that you need to take on a a trip out.
Other fans sat near you. I have a good bunch who were great but I can imagine some fans wouldn't like it and get pissed off.

Over all the hardest thing for me and my daughter was the lack of space, but I did really enjoy it and so did my girl. Got some great pictures and she always wants to come with me now.

She's definitely 100% blue now though! Loves City and hates "yucky red".

And that's just for the people sat next to, and in front of, the little feckers being kicked all game because they won't keep still.
Yes. Did it once, many years ago and that was on the old Kippax so was not as bad as doing it in seating as there was a bit of space to run around but was still pretty bad. But since then have very occasionally been sat near people who have brought toddlers and it looks absolutely horrific and as you say not nice for those sat in the vicinity. My experience with my kids has been that no matter how much you think they like football, they're not really ready to sit and concentrate at a match for 90 minutes until they are 8+. But maybe all my kids have ADHD or something.

Yes. Did it once, many years ago and that was on the old Kippax so was not as bad as doing it in seating as there was a bit of space to run around but was still pretty bad. But since then have very occasionally been sat near people who have brought toddlers and it looks absolutely horrific and as you say not nice for those sat in the vicinity. My experience with my kids has been that no matter how much you think they like football, they're not really ready to sit and concentrate at a match for 90 minutes until they are 8+. But maybe all my kids have ADHD or something.

Races up and down the terraces, group seat banging competitions. Can't wait! ;-)

My little girl just turned 2 and I believe Iv indoctrinated her well thus far, she knows City songs, says come on city and when you ask her what’s your favourite team she says City.

I feel I want to take her to a game or two next year even though Iv seen that this usually ends up with trips to the toilet and leaving early for many Dads with toddlers at matches.

my question is do I have to buy her a ticket or will she be able to come in on my season ticket? I’m in 119 so don’t know how standing and the louder (sometimes) atmosphere there compared to other sections may effect her?

Sooo.... can she come in on my ticket and in regards to south stand with a 2yo, Yay or nay? Should I look to move for a game when I take her (if that’s possible)

cheers

I used to carry mine in at that age .... try and get a seat close to the exit though and at the end of the row.

Took my son to his first game when he was 9 months. I had him in a baby carrier and I borrowed a pair of kids ear defenders from a friend and moved my season ticket in SSL3 to CBL3 as I knew it would be much quieter there

It was the 5-1 Leicester game and Sergio scored 4 so some great memories and he loved it.

As a bonus, it's the first time I have been sober at a match in a long time so I will never forget it!

I took my lad to his first game when he was 15 months old - had to because we didn't have a sitter. It was a nightmare - he hated the noise when we scored so I spent most of the match away from my seat as a result.
I took him again when he was 4. I took his DS, a comic and a load of sweets, but didn't need any of them - he loved it.
I have 2 kids and the other hates football but wasn't scared of the noise when I took her as a toddler.
So, I think it depends on your kid.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.