World Cup 2018 | 7th July | QF: Sweden vs England Match Thread, KO 15:00 (BST)

Quarter finals are ok?

As far as I'm aware, England weren't ranked in the top 8 aides in the world before the tournament and were in the group of second seeds. That implies their expected finish would be the Round of 16.

Quarter finals is exceeding expectations.
Always expected last 8 minimum get through the group then wherever we finished we should expect to be able beat Columbia, Japan, Senegal or Poland. Meeting Sweden not Germany in the quarter is a bonus as would a semi against Croatia,or Russia.

Question if rashford, lingard, young etc scored the winning goal for England in the world cup final would you celebrate like us winning the league with agueroooos goal, personally I don't think I could

I wouldn't celebrate it like that if Sterling scored a hat trick & Stones/Walker got 2 each, all in the last 3 mins.

Quarter finals are ok?

As far as I'm aware, England weren't ranked in the top 8 aides in the world before the tournament and were in the group of second seeds. That implies their expected finish would be the Round of 16.

Quarter finals is exceeding expectations.

Honestly, regardless of official rankings, I've always considered that a country that is mad about football, that virtually invented it in its modern form, that played a part, round the world, when you look closely, in founding clubs that are famous in other countries, that has good players, some of whom would walk into any club side in Europe, should be thinking in terms of quarter-finals in the Euros and the WC as base camp. As an acceptable performance. England have hugely under-achieved since ’66. That is the hard truth. Not even qualifying for the WC several times since then is scandalous, really. Things might be about to change. Interesting times…

This is not about the football.

I just want it known that if I hear those damned words....it's coming home....one more time then I'm supporting Sweden on Saturday.

I would go 4-3-3

Pickford
Rose
Stones
McGuire
Walker
Henderson
Delph
Lingard
Sterling
Kane
Rashford

That would give us a more balanced midfield, plays Sterling in his favourite position, pace up front and support for Kane

Anyone know any decent places near picc station showing the game on Sat? Got a friend coming in on the train quiet late so limited distance. Only place I can think of is the golf place just round the corner. Crown and Anchor going to be rammed I reckon.

I would go 4-4-2

Kane as a poacher, Sterling as a 10 or false 9 next to Kane
Supporting playmaker behind that
Ball winning midfielder and a central midfielder with attacking duty behind that
Defensive midfielder behind that who takes the Cm role if the attacking Cm is getting into the box
and then 4 defenders and fullbacks that run practicly the whole lenght.

Basicly england lacks the creativity in the center to play trough balls to fast wingers. By putting an extra man in the midfield one would hope that the space is more often found for a trough ball since there are more angles or players to shoot it from. Kane and Sterling in the striker role pushes the defense more narrow leaving space for the wingbacks to run into and make the cross.

Anyone know any decent places near picc station showing the game on Sat? Got a friend coming in on the train quiet late so limited distance. Only place I can think of is the golf place just round the corner. Crown and Anchor going to be rammed I reckon.

Every pub with a telly in Manchester, and the whole of England, will be showing the game.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.