Kieran Trippier

I wouldn't say that he has proven City wrong at all. He left City over 6 years ago and only really became a regular starter for a big club last season (and still only made 24 appearances). If he had stayed at City he would have been, at best, a back up and probably wouldn't really have developed as much with us as he wouldn't have been playing regularly. He would be second choice behind Walker. So it was best for all that he moved on when he did.

He has, however, proven that he's a very good right back.

Totally agree, and it's a very good point that he'd still be playing second fiddle to Walker if he (Walker) hadn't left Spurs.

At the time he looked like he'd just be a steady high Championship/low Prem player, so we sold him to a club at that level. He got promoted with Burnley but he might very well not have and still just be playing for them or just a low Prem club. These things sometimes just happen by chance.
I agree with things often happening by chance, but it's worth noting that he was sensational for Burnley the season they got promoted (if I remember right, he had the most assists in the Championship that season).

So even if Burnley hadn't made it to the Premier League, I'm pretty certain he would have.

That said, there's no way anyone could have predicted his rise through the ranks back when he was still with us, and it was undoubtedly the right move for all concerned.

Every club has let players go who have then gone on to do well elsewhere. So what?

No one could have reasonably forecasted that he would develop into the player he is or that we would have such a good World Cup or even play (unless you were Garth Southgate).

I am in no way criticising City for selling KT.

As far as I can tell we sold him to Burnley and am curious as to why the fee was undisclosed, as Wiki describes it. Has anybody got a feel for this?

I am in no way criticising City for selling KT.

As far as I can tell we sold him to Burnley and am curious as to why the fee was undisclosed, as Wiki describes it. Has anybody got a feel for this?
Why do you care? Should we have sent him out on loan for six years?

I think i've just 'got' the OP. This thread isn't about Trippier or City I think it's asking about what an undisclosed fee is.

Sometimes @John Oliver (or often as the case is in the Prem these days), fees are named "undisclosed" because changes or non-finalised bonuses will not have been factored into the contract even though it's signed, changes in percentage of fees to former clubs may not have been finalised going off number of performances or successful seasons, even changes in VAT can occur. So a transfer fee can change after a contract has been signed and reported to the press so they just call it "undisclosed" because they don't really know how much it is.

Last edited by a moderator:
I wouldn't say that he has proven City wrong at all. He left City over 6 years ago and only really became a regular starter for a big club last season (and still only made 24 appearances). If he had stayed at City he would have been, at best, a back up and probably wouldn't really have developed as much with us as he wouldn't have been playing regularly. He would be second choice behind Walker. So it was best for all that he moved on when he did.

He has, however, proven that he's a very good right back.
Which has been pointed out in this thread he had a great loan spell at the time with Burnley showing his worth but then is put up for sale along with Mee, pretty much a kick in the teeth don't you think? Well I did at the time. I think that was what he was alluding to when he said proving City wrong. Did the same with guidetti as i recall after MP told him on his first day at the club he wanted him at Malaga let him go on a free in end...

So it's pointless having an all singing and dancing academy if once a player proves his good enough he's then sold don't you think?
Sending out the wrong message to prospective good upcoming players that's all i will say...

Haven't kept up with the youth much since they brought in the rag Simon Davies...
But reading news outlets the same policy is in place if zinchenko rumours are correct...

How's Brian's charts nowadays?

Pep will sort it out I'm sure...

Which has been pointed out in this thread he had a great loan spell at the time with Burnley showing his worth but then is put up for sale along with Mee, pretty much a kick in the teeth don't you think? Well I did at the time. I think that was what he was alluding to when he said proving City wrong. Did the same with guidetti as i recall after MP told him on his first day at the club he wanted him at Malaga let him go on a free in end...

So it's pointless having an all singing and dancing academy if once a player proves his good enough he's then sold don't you think?
Sending out the wrong message to prospective good upcoming players that's all i will say...

Haven't kept up with the youth much since they brought in the rag Simon Davies...
But reading news outlets the same policy is in place if zinchenko rumours are correct...

How's Brian's charts nowadays?

Pep will sort it out I'm sure...

Not much choice really. He was behind Zabaleta and Richards at the time and went to the championship. He did well and got transferred to Spurs but again was back up there until Walker came to us. We can't just keep all the youngsters and have 3 players per position in case they become good enough 6 years later. I doubt he would have become good enough without being able to play regular football and he wouldn't have got that with us.

I think our policy with the academy is pretty much spot on at the moment. We're doing the best for club and the best for the players. Very few are going to make it with us. The super talented will stay and be given first team chances (such as Foden and Diaz) to see how they do. Others will be loaned or sold with buyback or sell-on clauses.

The decision with Trippier was the best for all parties (he'd still be back up even if we had kept him). The same with Zinchenko.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.