Bluemoon Fitness Thread

Another half decent weekend for me on the fitness front - clean diet and 5km run - just done 24 lengths and a few press ups and at my weigh in tonight I was down to 23.8kg body fat. A long way to go but better than I was and I can eat well this midweek. Trying and still determined to be sub 20% this year if possible.

This England team has f*cked my diet up this week. Was trying to stay off the booze. Lost some weight still by not eating white bread, potatoes and only having 1 meal a day at 6pm

Would the 'pops and clicks' be down to weight bearing on your knees? Perhaps try taking cod liver oil capsules? This is supposed to be very good for joints.

I don't want to keep harping on about what's happening for me, but I've seen many testimonies about IF helping drop weight and 'reset' the body's system.

I, myself, was suffering from leg and knee problems some months ago and was supposed to go for body scans, it was so severe.

But, since changing my eating habits I've felt nowhere the ailments I had.

I think @FantasyIreland is right. It’s from the workload I think. I went extremely hard at it the past two years. I did something serious I reckon about a year and a half ago where I couldn’t walk right for a month to my left knee. Now my right knee also pops, and you can feel the click on the top of the knee when I extend it. I’m also 33 so natural damage also.

I was doing 1-3 miles a day plus 1-5 miles walking and went from 215 to 175. A non muscular 175 mind you without lifting. I’m kind of lost as to what to do at this point as muscle is the priority. I know there’s typically a bulking and cutting phase but I’m a stubborn guy and want to play the long game and lose the fat while gaining muscle. I figured I’d shoot for about 175g of protein and try to minimize the calories but have that secondary. I was hoping to continue the cardio about 4 times a week while lifting about 5. The problem I’m faced with now is that I can’t really run and now I’m worried about lifting on leg days. I don’t want to have chicken legs but I’ll have that over bad knees :-( and muscle is the priority but I don’t want to gain much weight.

I’m kind of all the place here I know and was maybe looking for a few tips on trying to lift legs and maybe a few tips on cardio/heart rate. An old timer told me not to bike and I tried doing walking and 25 jumping jacks each lap but I could feel the stress on the knees so I’m cutting that out. I’m thinking maybe try jump rope or buy a punching bag?

I’m also back and school and low on funds so that’s an issue.

Confused mess at the moment grrr. Don’t have type to spellcheck so forgive the grammar please

One of those machines that uses an electric current and will give you a different reading every time depending on how sweaty you are.

They are notoriously inaccurate.

http://www.berkeleywellness.com/healthy-eating/diet-weight-loss/article/body-fat-scales-step-right

Don't disagree but I find it useful as I am looking at trends over several months. for example I do a reading each week and back in December my body fat percentage ranged from 26.1 to 27 percent - after my mini efforts I am now between 23.8 and 24.1.

Just gives me an indication I am going in the correct direction.

Don't disagree but I find it useful as I am looking at trends over several months. for example I do a reading each week and back in December my body fat percentage ranged from 26.1 to 27 percent - after my mini efforts I am now between 23.8 and 24.1.

Just gives me an indication I am going in the correct direction.
Oh absolutely. It’s fine for trends.

Good work.

I think @FantasyIreland is right. It’s from the workload I think. I went extremely hard at it the past two years. I did something serious I reckon about a year and a half ago where I couldn’t walk right for a month to my left knee. Now my right knee also pops, and you can feel the click on the top of the knee when I extend it. I’m also 33 so natural damage also.

I was doing 1-3 miles a day plus 1-5 miles walking and went from 215 to 175. A non muscular 175 mind you without lifting. I’m kind of lost as to what to do at this point as muscle is the priority. I know there’s typically a bulking and cutting phase but I’m a stubborn guy and want to play the long game and lose the fat while gaining muscle. I figured I’d shoot for about 175g of protein and try to minimize the calories but have that secondary. I was hoping to continue the cardio about 4 times a week while lifting about 5. The problem I’m faced with now is that I can’t really run and now I’m worried about lifting on leg days. I don’t want to have chicken legs but I’ll have that over bad knees :-( and muscle is the priority but I don’t want to gain much weight.

I’m kind of all the place here I know and was maybe looking for a few tips on trying to lift legs and maybe a few tips on cardio/heart rate. An old timer told me not to bike and I tried doing walking and 25 jumping jacks each lap but I could feel the stress on the knees so I’m cutting that out. I’m thinking maybe try jump rope or buy a punching bag?

I’m also back and school and low on funds so that’s an issue.

Confused mess at the moment grrr. Don’t have type to spellcheck so forgive the grammar please

Get on the cross trainer. Work your way up to doing 40 minute sessions on this, will melt the weight off you in no time, without excess pressure on the joints that running and other high impact cardio exercises do.

Get the heart rate to around 160 in order to be effective for these cardio sessions.

May be worth looking at some videos on YouTube and investing in a decent resistance band, if you can't afford to go to classes at the moment. There's loads of different functional movements you can do, simply by tying the band around a post in the ground or a garden fence.

Other than lifting weights 4-5 times a week. Try body exercises like press ups, pull ups and chin ups to give you a more athletic look pretty quickly. Also stress positions such as planks or 'bring Sally up bring Sally down' press up routine, will build strength and tone you up a bit more.

Hope this helps.

Get on the cross trainer. Work your way up to doing 40 minute sessions on this, will melt the weight off you in no time, without excess pressure on the joints that running and other high impact cardio exercises do.

Get the heart rate to around 160 in order to be effective for these cardio sessions.

May be worth looking at some videos on YouTube and investing in a decent resistance band, if you can't afford to go to classes at the moment. There's loads of different functional movements you can do, simply by tying the band around a post in the ground or a garden fence.

Other than lifting weights 4-5 times a week. Try body exercises like press ups, pull ups and chin ups to give you a more athletic look pretty quickly. Also stress positions such as planks or 'bring Sally up bring Sally down' press up routine, will build strength and tone you up a bit more.

Hope this helps.

This helps a ton actually and I’m grateful for the feedback. I’ve not done a ton of research on the nutritional side of things until last night. I should have done that such a long time ago.

The plan a couple years back was to go from 215lb to 175lb and then cut down on cardio and start lifting. I hit 180 at the beginning of Winter and joined a gym. Right after I did the roof collapsed and they spent two months repairing it. During that time my dumbass jumped back up to 200 :(.

I figured I would lower the cardio slightly, lift 5 times a week, focus on getting 150g of protein and minimize the calories as best as I could without going crazy with the dieting. No junk, no cokes, desserts etc. I’ve been maintaining the weight and getting stronger but it looks like I’ve been doing things poorly from a nutritional standpoint. I did quite a bit of research last night and I’m not in as bad a shape as I thought regarding the elimination of the running. I was burning about 1200 calories a week from the running but I can make up for that pretty easily.

Here’s what I came up with last night...I’m attempting to do a ‘cut’ while at least maintaining my current strength. During this period you need to be in a 300-500 calorie deficit but I’m not exactly sure what my base should be? I reckon 2700-2800 maintains, 2300-2500 cuts, and 3400-3500 will gain?

From what I can tell I need it to look like..
2300-2500 calories, 200g of protein, 100g fat, 175g carbs. ~3000 once I’d like to start adding strength and muscle. ???????

If you or someone could tell me if my daily macros are correct please let me know!

Does that sound about right for those of you ITK? It looks like it’s going to be awfully difficult to maintain that but I’m going to try.

Last edited:
Remember that your 'base', and specifically your protein requirement works off your lean body mass, so 200lb won't need 200g of protein unless you're at 0% body fat.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.