Iceland

AlgarveBlu

has anyone been there before ? - the country that is before you all pile in

Have just booked for 5 days in August and just got the flights on an impulse for me and the lad as I’m taking him up for the Huddersfield game but then realized I haven’t done any proper research.

Am I ok to be based in Reykjavik for the 5 days with a hire car or will I be missing out? It looks really expensive booze and food wise but have located an English pub for the arsenal game on touch down.

Northern lights possible at this time of the year?

Any must see/do recommendations?

Have just booked for 5 days in August and just got the flights on an impulse for me and the lad as I’m taking him up for the Huddersfield game but then realized I haven’t done any proper research.

Am I ok to be based in Reykjavik for the 5 days with a hire car or will I be missing out? It looks really expensive booze and food wise but have located an English pub for the arsenal game on touch down.

Have a walk around the aisles in the new Costco !

It's on my bucket list, seems like a perfect country.

But only in winter, would never go in the summer.

It's on my bucket list, seems like a perfect country.

But only in winter, would never go in the summer.

I assumed winter would be a right off with little day light and pissing down or snowing - thought I was taking the safe option with a summer trip there...I’m thinking of cancelling already after the first few responses

Don't cancel.
It's amazing, great place, people and food.
If you've got a hire car you can do all the tours, especially the Golden Circle . It's dead easy to follow and there's no charge at any of the sights.
Lots of the pubs and hotels do happy hours every evening. Keep an eye out for these. Locals go out after ten and stay out until early morning.
There's a swimming pool in Reykjavik which is free, outdoor and geothermal.
The city itself is really easy to walk around.
There's a famous hot dog stand near the harbour where you can be fed for a couple of quid if that's what you like.
The tasting menus in some of the top end restaurants are amazing, innovative and tasty. Just don't ask what you're eating.

Going in February. Doing similar to you, 4 nights at the Hotel Borg, but with more chances to see the Northern lights... hopefully. Car hire is the way forward, let me know what it's like.

Mate its an absolute brilliant place and would love to go back.

The key is getting a car though, so you have done the right thing, but the one regret I have is that I booked a flat in Rekyavik and had to travel there and back each day.

Highlights for me Blue lagoon, Vik, Snaefull peninsula, walk from Arnatstapi to Helnarr but mostly the driving and seeing endless open road, lava fields, mountains etc.

Food and drink is expensive and in all honesty is not worth the money but the actual sites are typically free and based in the main along the ring road. Its a great walking and nature holiday.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.