Bluemoon Fitness Thread

This helps a ton actually and I’m grateful for the feedback. I’ve not done a ton of research on the nutritional side of things until last night. I should have done that such a long time ago.

The plan a couple years back was to go from 215lb to 175lb and then cut down on cardio and start lifting. I hit 180 at the beginning of Winter and joined a gym. Right after I did the roof collapsed and they spent two months repairing it. During that time my dumbass jumped back up to 200 :(.

I figured I would lower the cardio slightly, lift 5 times a week, focus on getting 150g of protein and minimize the calories as best as I could without going crazy with the dieting. No junk, no cokes, desserts etc. I’ve been maintaining the weight and getting stronger but it looks like I’ve been doing things poorly from a nutritional standpoint. I did quite a bit of research last night and I’m not in as bad a shape as I thought regarding the elimination of the running. I was burning about 1200 calories a week from the running but I can make up for that pretty easily.

Here’s what I came up with last night...I’m attempting to do a ‘cut’ while at least maintaining my current strength. During this period you need to be in a 300-500 calorie deficit but I’m not exactly sure what my base should be? I reckon 2700-2800 maintains, 2300-2500 cuts, and 3400-3500 will gain?

From what I can tell I need it to look like..
2300-2500 calories, 200g of protein, 100g fat, 175g carbs. ~3000 once I’d like to start adding strength and muscle. ???????

If you or someone could tell me if my daily macros are correct please let me know!

Does that sound about right for those of you ITK? It looks like it’s going to be awfully difficult to maintain that but I’m going to try.

Buddy you're going way too high on the calorie intake. The average male needs 2500 calories per day. In order to cut weight in a healthy manner, I'd recommend taking in 1800-2000 cals per day.

You sound very keen, but at this stage in your training try not to be so harsh on yourself. It's about making it a lifestyle, you can't focus too much on the figures or it'll do your head in. I used to run more than I do now, but I never time my runs for example cos it's easy to become self critical and affect your morale. Do the exercise and take on the right foods and the body will take care of itself.

A simple saying I keep in my head regarding nutrition is 'if it swims, flies or comes out of the ground, it's safe to eat'. A balance of white and red meat and fish, along with vegetables and ample fruit will do you good. For carbs try sweet potatoes, butternut squash and quinoa.

Cut out the fizzy drinks like you say and isotonics, and stick to water and green tea. If you're worried about not taking in enough fuel and feeling drained, try a green tea or coffee to quel the appetite. And things like peanut butter, almond butter and dry nuts like Brazil nuts or hazelnuts are good, as they are filling and high in fibre and healthy fats.

That’s a nice read on me and some good advice. I have to say you’re right. The part about making it a lifestyle should be the focus and it hasn’t been viewed as one mentally and that’s a big mistake.

I’m going to take your advice and eat a couple hundred less calories for two weeks and go from there.

Ty again @KingCarlito

Remember that your 'base', and specifically your protein requirement works off your lean body mass, so 200lb won't need 200g of protein unless you're at 0% body fat.

Glad you've pointed that out as it's extremely important, more people than I care to mention fail to shed the fat because of it, little point in creating a calorie deficit by reducing carbs and/or fats, and then making those calories up (and over) by consuming far more protein than they need, and most people vastly over estimate how much lean body mass they're actually working with.

On monday, a shit day at work, coupled with the heat, and a cut in progress meant I failed every lift in 5x5 Workout A. Hoping it was mostly mental, and I can get back on the horse today.

Just been told I look like I have lost weight by a women in work!

That's all that counts. Treated myself to a bourbon at 63 calories as a reward.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.