Who now then?...

The internet, a great place for people to take a quote out of context. But short answer, yes we should.
To take this honestly baffling idea seriously for a moment, I don't think Kante has the vision to ever be Busquets-lite, let alone a player comparable or better at what Busquets does.

Isn't Kante rather a player for counter attacking teams? He is great at winning the ball back, but that is about the opposite of what we need with our possession based game. I think Pep will use Gündogan or John Stones in the central defensive midfield rather than buy Kante.

Not my idea, but let me parrot it again:

Stanislas Lobotka!

He looks just about ready to make that next step

On a slightly different but related topic, I've become more and more convinced that we need an experienced CB partner to help Stones and Laporte hone their defensive skills. I just don't think we can depend on Kompany to stay fit I hate to say and Otamendi isn't a good enough defender, I feel they'd learn more bad habits than good from him.

What are people's thoughts on that and what would people's suggestions be?

Alderwiereld would be the ideal for me, good age, a lot of experience bit but he would be very expensive, probably too much so.

Diego Godin is a monster and kne of my favourite plauers but he plays in such a different defensive system. Would be as effective in a team that plays with such a high line? Would stones and Laporte learn the right skills from him? plus I don't see him leaving atletico.

Boateng looks shot.

Bonucci maybe?

Would love to hear other peoples thoughts and suggestions.

I’ve been banging the same drum for years now... Any centre half we’ve had in the last 7/8 years has been good enough to play for City IF Kompany was alongside them. I include MDM in that, Mangala too, even Otamendi when he was shaky and rash as hell - VK is good enough to talk his partner through the whole game, step up, hit it long, play out wide, give him space etc. etc. etc.

I don’t believe for a minute that Stones and Laporte aren’t benefitting from that every day in training whether VK is fit or not. Thus I close my argument with this... We don’t need a new CB.

N'Zonzi or Weigl would be the best for what Pep would want from a DM. N'Zonzi already proven against Pool, but people will be the transfixed on his past performances in the PL, which weren't bad but people can't get over that. Weigl needs Pep to unlock him as Tuchel did his first season before the following 2 years became a crapshoot.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.