England finish 4th.

I feel underwhelmed TBH. At 1-0 v Croatia, we had a great chance to build on that lead or at least try and defend it 2nd half. We were found wanting in midfield, and the further the game progressed, the Croats grew in confidence. Henderson Ali and Lingard were poor and had Croatia bossing the game.
Pickford had a good world cup but in the 2nd half his clearances struck of desperation kicking it out either on to one of their defenders or into touch. We lacked a leader who could stamp his authority on the game.

Didn't see today's game but I expected Belgium to beat us, so no surprise there.

I think Southgate has done well and been bold enough to field a young team instead of previous managers who have stuck to their favourites even when too old or not match fit.
Southgate must be allowed to build on this if we are to improve as a squad.

Maybe next word cup we may have Foden in midfield along with many of this squad who will all have a further 4 years experience.

Anyone else cringe at the way we line up for a corner ? It looks so amateurish. Im not that optimistic about the future either. We'll continue to be a set piece team unless we can find a couple of midfielders who can grab a game, dominate and create opportunities.

Now that England's' World Cup is over it's time to take a critical look at it.

Played 7. Won 3. Drew 1. Lost 3.

Beat Panama (FIFA ranking 56).
Beat Sweden (FIFA ranking 24).
Beat Tunisia (FIFA ranking 21).
Drew Colombia (FIFA ranking 16).
Lost Croatia (FIFA ranking 20).
Lost Belgium twice (FIFA ranking 3).

Bit of perspective on the 'brilliant' campaign that I've heard so many people talking about.

England were ranked joint 12th along with Denmark before the World Cup, something you've conveniently failed to include in your list.

So i'm not sure why beating the likes of Colombia, Sweden or even Tunisia, was considered a formality.

We've outperformed the likes of Spain and Germany who couldn't beat teams ranked 70th and 57th respectively.

Who would have taken in place of the rest of them?

That is the point I was making. See the WC 2022 thread. We are so light on the ground of good English players. Thought England had some really good you players, Junior WC winners etc. But so few coming through. Would love to see some of them challenging for places.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.