Brian Cox

Surely a thread about Brian Cox should be a discussion about science. Flat earthers should find their own loony thread, then those interested in science can avoid it.

Surely a thread about Brian Cox should be a discussion about science. Flat earthers should find their own loony thread, then those interested in science can avoid it.
No we need these to out themselves so we can track them down and have them reprogrammed. I've already reported and had a tracker put on this one and he'll be found within the next 24 hours. There is no escape.

Meanwhile on Planet Earth...

Ah I see, so that’s just the peaks and troughs of the surface taken into consideration but not a representation of the actual water surface or atmosphere above that?
Just to add to this...

the image shown is "The Potsdam Gravity Potato" an exaggerated representation/map of the Earth's gravitational field...

Explanation: Why do some places on Earth have higher gravity than others? Sometimes the reason is unknown. To help better understand the Earth's surface, sensitive measurements by the orbiting satellites GRACE and CHAMP were used to create a map of Earth's gravitational field. Since a center for studying these data is in Potsdam, Germany, and since the result makes the Earth look somewhat like a potato, the resulting geoid has been referred to as the Potsdam Gravity Potato. High areas on this map, colored red, indicate areas where gravity is slightly stronger than usual, while in blue areas gravity is slightly weaker. Many bumps and valleys on the Potsdam Gravity Potato can be attributed to surface features, such as the North Mid-Atlantic Ridge and the Himalayan Mountains, but others cannot, and so might relate to unusually high or low sub-surface densities. Maps like this also help calibrate changes in the Earth's surface including variable ocean currents and the melting of glaciers. The above map was made in 2005, but more recent and more sensitive gravity maps of Earth were produced in 2011.

Another version...

geoid2005_champgrace_960.jpg

In reality the Earth is an oblate spheroid and if it was on the same scale it would be smoother than a billiard ball.

Just shot then.
If having to put up with your views and opinions
No we need these to out themselves so we can track them down and have them reprogrammed. I've already reported and had a tracker put on this one and he'll be found within the next 24 hours. There is no escape.

Just to add to this...

the image shown is "The Potsdam Gravity Potato" an exaggerated representation/map of the Earth's gravitational field...

Explanation: Why do some places on Earth have higher gravity than others? Sometimes the reason is unknown. To help better understand the Earth's surface, sensitive measurements by the orbiting satellites GRACE and CHAMP were used to create a map of Earth's gravitational field. Since a center for studying these data is in Potsdam, Germany, and since the result makes the Earth look somewhat like a potato, the resulting geoid has been referred to as the Potsdam Gravity Potato. High areas on this map, colored red, indicate areas where gravity is slightly stronger than usual, while in blue areas gravity is slightly weaker. Many bumps and valleys on the Potsdam Gravity Potato can be attributed to surface features, such as the North Mid-Atlantic Ridge and the Himalayan Mountains, but others cannot, and so might relate to unusually high or low sub-surface densities. Maps like this also help calibrate changes in the Earth's surface including variable ocean currents and the melting of glaciers. The above map was made in 2005, but more recent and more sensitive gravity maps of Earth were produced in 2011.

Another version...

In reality the Earth is an oblate spheroid and if it was on the same scale it would be smoother than a billiard ball.

Just to add to this...

Another version...

Hahaha re programmed brilliant absolutely brilliant.

I’m struggling to read one of Steven Hawking’s books at the moment and being honest it’s a little heavy for me.

I’m sure lots people have read or heard of Bill Bryson’s book ‘A Short History Of Nearly Everything’. It’s a brilliant read for the layman, I couldn’t recommend it highly enough.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.