England finish 4th.

Nor does it mean it was as straightforward to progress as you're making it out to be.

I'm not sure how reaching a semi-final doesn't mean we had a good tournament.

It was good if you look in terms of progression but somewhat less impressive if you look at the teams faced. Personally I see it more as an opportunity missed than as an over-achievement.

Not bad for about the 10th best team in the world, but I’ll tell you what we showed some poor tactics and some naïve football in that semifinal and with some better management/coaching/performances we would be on the final today and with that 1-0 lead we should be really

First main problem with England is we don't have anyone like de Bruyne. Not even close. In fact, our midfield looked an obvious weakness all the way.

Second main problem is that fans of the Rags and Redscouse put pressure on the manager to pick indifferent players, just because they don't play for City.

I am quite pleased, actually. I have thought for a long time that we were slowly going the way of Scotland. That descent has been arrested, the key is now to find more quality players who know how to pass a ball and aren't afraid of being in possession. The influence of Pep on English football is going to turn out a major bonus, and there are a couple more managers out there who have (broadly) got the right idea. We are at last moving away from the dinosaur era.

England played 2 good teams, one twice and were handed there arse each time... That said, they did well and will be a decent team going forward... Will they win anything?? No chance, just not quite up to the mark, there won’t be a better chance to win the World Cup ever again, as long as all reading this are alive... Now let’s get down to proper football business.!!!

England played 2 good teams, one twice and were handed there arse each time... That said, they did well and will be a decent team going forward... Will they win anything?? No chance, just not quite up to the mark, there won’t be a better chance to win the World Cup ever again, as long as all reading this are alive... Now let’s get down to proper football business.!!!
In a nutshell.

First main problem with England is we don't have anyone like de Bruyne. Not even close. In fact, our midfield looked an obvious weakness all the way.

Second main problem is that fans of the Rags and Redscouse put pressure on the manager to pick indifferent players, just because they don't play for City.

I am quite pleased, actually. I have thought for a long time that we were slowly going the way of Scotland. That descent has been arrested, the key is now to find more quality players who know how to pass a ball and aren't afraid of being in possession. The influence of Pep on English football is going to turn out a major bonus, and there are a couple more managers out there who have (broadly) got the right idea. We are at last moving away from the dinosaur era.

English football at youth level has been distancing itself from what you label "the dinosaur era" for a while now. Nothing to do with Pep. Major changes were put into effect a number of years ago which emphasise technique, use of space and tactical awareness rather than physicality. More coaches are being properly trained. And English football is finally reaping the benefit. England were dominant at multiple youth levels last year, on both the European and World stages. I expect to see that scenario repeated more frequently over coming years.

The only big question remaining - and it's a question to be asked as much of Pep as of any other Premier League manager - is whether or not promising, young English players will be given proper opportunities at first team level. Without that, their progress will likely stall. It's why, over the past year or two, we've seen continental clubs successfully snaffle up a number of promising, young English players - Jason Sancho included.

If you had told me England would finish 4th and Kane would bring home the golden boot, I would have bitten your hand off. Lots of work to do but it's been a great ride. Future's bright.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.