The season after winning the PL

JASR

... so this was mentioned a few times after the amazing 17/18 season.

But is 18/19 going to be like 12/13 & 14/15...

Manager comparison:
18/19 Has the full backing afaik of the entire City structure from top sheik to bottom piss cleaner-upper and all layers in between.

Previously: Although it may have seemed like that on the surface as the summer of 12 and 14, it certainly wasn’t by the mid point,(or earlier).

Squad comparison:
18/19 young squad, a few greats (Kompany, Silva) potentially heading towards the sunset of a fabulous city career, but even then the squad seems gelled , complete, and working as one, without egos and bitching.

Previously: egos were around. The squads lacked depth, though I do remember looking at a 2nd City XI in 14 and thinking it would still be fine... heh
The squad didn’t seem as gelled (see next)

Transfers in:
18/19 - so Mahrez... (so far, but intimated to be it), great.... But with a young gelled squad it’s not too bad. Next summer is when Kompany/Silva/Aguero will need to have their replacements lined up - big shoes to fill.

Previous: well they were crap/poor/dire, I think we’ll move on. But I think it laid the bones for the lack of a consecutive PL.

Fans expectation:
18/19 - high, looking good. Though (and the reason I made this thread - imo), it’s tempered by...

Previous: high, but un realised

12/13 I was 1/2 expecting it, after the emotion of aguerrrrro, it seemed unrealistic to do a repeat, albeit very nice.

14/15 really sucked the big one for me. It felt very anticlimax, as though all your toys had been taken away, and you couldn’t understand why.

Having been through the lean times, it’s still amazing to look at the trophy’s won since 10/11. So I’m not complaining, just having a new style ‘typical’ city moment on our chances of getting a consecutive.

Still, might as well be Celtic, as some bitter says.

1. I am convinced we will retain the title (most important objective in my opinion)
2. Pep has rebuilt and put together a very young side that can/will dominate for a few years (unlike previous seasons especially with the engineer most of us knew our defence needed an overhaul)
3.Pep has changed the face of english football (even after every expert and keanes dog said it couldnt be done)
4.we are fucking great (and really are the best team in the world and all the land)

If we stand still like we did after the previous two title wins expect a similar outcome. We need to strenghten, mahrez on his own wont be enough. All our rivals are strenghtening big time so expect a stronger challenge this season. History will tell you all you need to know about how difficult it is to retain the title.

If we stand still like we did after the previous two title wins expect a similar outcome. We need to strenghten, mahrez on his own wont be enough. All our rivals are strenghtening big time so expect a stronger challenge this season. History will tell you all you need to know about how difficult it is to retain the title.
History does indeed tell us how difficult it is to retain a title. Twice we failed to do it. In 2012/13 we failed, and then the same squad recharged its batteries and won it in 2013/14.

It's mental attitude. No one can know how this team is going to approach 2018/19 until the season kicks off.

I am not sure whether signings make a difference. Perhaps they put pressure on the players to perform. Mahrez will do that.

Kompany, Silva etc all lacked the hunger last time to maintain City through the following season. They are older this time. Perhaps the ticking clock will sharpen the hunger. This is a test of character and n

I'm not sure people are quite aware of the extra impetus and quality Mahrez will bring to our squad.Hes a brilliant signing that will offer us another dimension and keep our momentum going.I suspect we will sign more yet,but i have no worries if not.

The last time a team successfully defended the title was nearly 10 years ago and there's various reasons for that. Principally, as others have said, it's a mental thing as it's difficult to sustain the level of performance and concentration required for a second season. it is also a far more competitive league (last season's records notwithstanding) than it used to be with arguably 6 teams in the mix.

That said, I think we have the best chance in recent years to be the ones to do it, given the age of the squad and the drive of the manager. I do fear a post-WC hangover, however, and wouldnt be at all surprised if we lost the first match against Arsenal.

the 2 things denting my confidence of retaining the title are;
a group of fatigued players from the world cup making the season start potentially slower and
a concentrated push on europe, with unintentional effects on the league
(and a slight improvement in opposition quality)

The last time a team successfully defended the title was nearly 10 years ago and there's various reasons for that.

Last time a team won the league by the equivalent of 19 points was 1889.

I think people have forgotten just how much better we were last season and how far the rest have to catch up.

It'll be difficult, as everyone will park the bus and our squad will be tired. I think we'll do it, but it won't be easy.

Last time a team won the league by the equivalent of 19 points was 1889.

I think people have forgotten just how much better we were last season and how far the rest have to catch up.

We start the season on the same points as everyone else - not 19 ahead. Yes, the others have to catch up but we also have to replicate the form from last season. I can think of a few matches where we won with late goals and that may not always happen - fine margins and all that. Just cautioning against getting carried away with the previous superlative season - I think this will be harder.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.