The season after winning the PL

If we stand still like we did after the previous two title wins expect a similar outcome. We need to strenghten, mahrez on his own wont be enough. All our rivals are strenghtening big time so expect a stronger challenge this season. History will tell you all you need to know about how difficult it is to retain the title.

I think people exaggerate standing still being the reason for us not retaining the title in 2013 and 2015. Lets be honest, there were serious off pitch issues and if Mancini hadn't started fighting with everyone, or if Yaya's brother hadn't died and Fernandinho hadn't been blamed for Brazil's worst ever defeat we'd probably have defended those titles.

It wasn't because we didn't have the squads to retain the title, it was because the squads underdelivered under managers who were in crises.

If you look back at previous title retaining sides and what they changed in the summer:

2008/9 - United get Berbatov.
2007/8 - United get Nani & Anderson who were awful.

2005/6 - Chelsea get Essien and SWP.

2000/1 - United get no one.
1999/0 - United get Barthez & Silvestre.

Teams who defend titles don't go out and buy a load of new players, 1 big signing, maybe 2 back up signings is all that you need to keep things fresh.

Mahrez will be enough. Maybe we'll get one more, maybe not, but we don't need upheaval, we just need to keep plodding on while everyone else is trying to reinvent themselves to cope with our previous season.

I think people exaggerate standing still being the reason for us not retaining the title in 2013 and 2015. Lets be honest, there were serious off pitch issues and if Mancini hadn't started fighting with everyone, or if Yaya's brother hadn't died and Fernandinho hadn't been blamed for Brazil's worst ever defeat we'd probably have defended those titles.

It wasn't because we didn't have the squads to retain the title, it was because the squads underdelivered under managers who were in crises.

If you look back at previous title retaining sides and what they changed in the summer:

2008/9 - United get Berbatov.
2007/8 - United get Nani & Anderson who were awful.

2005/6 - Chelsea get Essien and SWP.

2000/1 - United get no one.
1999/0 - United get Barthez & Silvestre.

Teams who defend titles don't go out and buy a load of new players, 1 big signing, maybe 2 back up signings is all that you need to keep things fresh.

Mahrez will be enough. Maybe we'll get one more, maybe not, but we don't need upheaval, we just need to keep plodding on while everyone else is trying to reinvent themselves to cope with our previous season.

One signing isn't enough, we will end up kicking ourselves if we don't buy someone in the Fernandinho role. I don't think we need many but certainly some fresh faces to shake it up and keep people on their toes.

One signing isn't enough, we will end up kicking ourselves if we don't buy someone in the Fernandinho role. I don't think we need many but certainly some fresh faces to shake it up and keep people on their toes.

1 signing is enough, as the history of other sides who have retained titles shows.

Will be difficult to retain the title but I am expecting us to do it. We have the bedded in team whilst the others are now playing catch up - It's ours to lose really.

The media are begging for someone to beat us to the title. I think next year will be twice as hard to watch as the media get behind anyone but City, especially Liverpool with all their scouse support in the media

After the World Cup it is vital we have a strong squad. The age of our squad is pretty young but a lot have been through long seasons and the WC with the physical and emotional strain of it. We need to manage them carefully. I worry about failing to sign Jorginho. Fernandinho has played so much football and we need cover for him. Could Delph do it? Foden? Perhaps but we need to make sure we have exactly what we need in that position. Defensively and in attack we are fine with the addition of Mahrez and with Diaz hopefully coming through.

Personally I would try to get Harry Winks in. Young and English and a real talent that could do the job Pep expects of a DM pivot. I think we restrict Foden too much in a deeper role - he is so good carrying it forwards and getting into the box.

1 signing is enough, as the history of other sides who have retained titles shows.

No it wouldn't. Each year every circumstance changes, showing what teams have bought who retained titles has zero effect on the coming season. It doesn't take into account other teams strengthening. Ages of squads etc. Fernandinhos role is so key to how we operate if we face a period without him and no replacement it could see us drop points. I am not saying it will but there's a chance of that and is why clearly we are looking at strengthening that position, if we started the season tomorrow I don't think Pep would be happy. We cannot be complacent, I don't think Pep would allow it to begin with but knowing you are a guaranteed starter plants that seed.

No it wouldn't. Each year every circumstance changes, showing what teams have bought who retained titles has zero effect on the coming season. It doesn't take into account other teams strengthening. Ages of squads etc. Fernandinhos role is so key to how we operate if we face a period without him and no replacement it could see us drop points. I am not saying it will but there's a chance of that and is why clearly we are looking at strengthening that position, if we started the season tomorrow I don't think Pep would be happy. We cannot be complacent, I don't think Pep would allow it to begin with but knowing you are a guaranteed starter plants that seed.

You're mistaking not buying lots of players for complacency.

They aren't the same thing. As has been said by pretty much every City journalist in the last week, Pep's not likely to buy anyone else, so he obviously is happy with the squad as is.

You're mistaking not buying lots of players for complacency.

They aren't the same thing. As has been said by pretty much every City journalist in the last week, Pep's not likely to buy anyone else, so he obviously is happy with the squad as is.

Who said lots? Not me feel free to read the first post instead of making things up. I don't want us to buy for the sake of it, buy where is needed, we have no one else who can do what Fernandinho does, is it a smart move relying on a 33 year old to play so many games? I imagine when we do bring another face or two in then you will say clearly Pep thought different to yourself and you was incorrect? You have had to go back ten years to show the last team retaining a title, could it be that the lack of strengthening after winning it for each team has been a problem since...............

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.