World Cup VAR

It's telling who has never played the sport. People who think you can jump like a robot, the ball is a massive entity which requires a full on whack to change course....and those who listen to commentators.

I was accused of being blind yesterday when i said the ball didn't come off a French players head just before (which it still didn't) so forgive me for questioning this but "it didn't change the trajectory of the ball"? Are you serious, it was going across the face of the goal. His movement (out of a natural position) hit it out of play instead.

Ridiculous. If that is handball there are 5 pens every game. I believe you are either a Wum or football is not for you. The decision has been widely criticised throughout the world today. If you are so needy, I am sorry for you.
What you and some others fail to understand is that it is so difficult to score a goal. If penalties are given for this then the aim of the game will be to hit the arm of the opponent in the penalty area, much easier than trying to score a goal, but equally rewarding.

Bless xx

Last edited:
Ridiculous. If that is handball there are 5 pens every game. I believe you are either a Wum or football is not for you. The decision has been widely criticised throughout the world today. If you are so needy, I am sorry for you.
What you and some others fail to understand is that it is so difficult to score a goal. If penalties are given for this then the aim of the game will be to hit the arm of the opponent in the penalty area, much easier than trying to score a goal, but equally rewarding.

Bless xx

Sorry but I and many others saw it as a penalty aswell. I think he instinctively put he’s arm down a lot quicker than needed to be and blocked the ball going across face of goal with his hand for a corner.
There is simply no way of telling if it’s accidental or not. Either way, it’s a good thing the Ref was allowed another look and make a decision, rather than the blind guessing before VARs existence.

Sorry but I and many others saw it as a penalty aswell. I think he instinctively put he’s arm down a lot quicker than needed to be and blocked the ball going across face of goal with his hand for a corner.
There is simply no way of telling if it’s accidental or not. Either way, it’s a good thing the Ref was allowed another look and make a decision, rather than the blind guessing before VARs existence.

A fair opinion.

My response would be: if that decision were the norm, I would be instructing players to be hitting an opponent's arm in the penalty box at all times, much easier then trying to score a goal.

There is a precedent, happened in Brazil, when refs were instructed to give more " handball" pens. The players immediately started to play for them.

In my view, a ball hitting an arm when the players view is obstructed , or and deflected is not a pen. Especially if the defender is stood in a natural position.
If the arm is either above the head or the defender has gone to ground different questions need to be asked.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.