Community shield

Status
Not open for further replies.
You would like to think that it would be moved around the country, especially as England will play more games outside Wembley now. However as a showpiece and sort of Super Cup status it's unlikely. Another reason it is unlikely is that it raises money for charities. When it was at Villa Park the crowd was much smaller than Wembley or the Millennium Stadium (as it was named then) TV money would still be good and they should be able to come up with other ways of attracting sponsorship if it moved.

Below is an idea of how they divi up the money generated and also the attendances in recent history.

2001 Liverpool 2–1 Man United Millennium Stadium 70,227
2002 Arsenal 1–0 Liverpool Millennium Stadium 67,337
2003 Man U 1–1 Arsenal Millennium Stadium 59,923
2004 Arsenal 3–1 Man U Millennium Stadium 63,317
2005 Chelsea 2–1 Arsenal Millennium Stadium 58,014
2006 Liverpool 2–1 Chelsea Millennium Stadium 56,275

2007 Man U1–1 Chelsea Wembley(new) 80,731
2008 Man U 0–0 Portsmouth Wembley (new) 84,808
2009 Chelsea 2–2 Man United Wembley (new) 85,896
2010 Man U 3–1 Chelsea Wembley (new) 84,623
2011 Man U 3–2 Manchester City Wembley (new) 77,169

2012 Manchester City 3–2 Chelsea Villa Park 36,394

2013 Man U 2–0 Wigan Athletic Wembley (new) 80,235
2014 Arsenal 3–0 Manchester City Wembley (new) 71,523
2015 Arsenal 1–0 Chelsea Wembley (new) 85,437
2016 Man U 2–1 Leicester City Wembley (new) 85,437
2017 Arsenal 1–1 Chelsea Wembley (new) 83,325

The FA Community Shield raises hundreds of thousands of pounds every year, distributed to community-based initiatives and charities up and down the country.
The funds are raised through a combination of tickets sales and match programmes.

The 2006 FA Community Shield sponsored by McDonald’s raised £880,000 and each of the 124 clubs who competed in The FA Cup from the First Round onwards received £5,000 to donate to up to three local charities or community-based projects of their choice.

One of those clubs, Chippenham Town FC, who went out of the 2005-06 Competition in the First Round to Worcester City, chose The Doorway Project as one of two local charities to receive £2,500. Doorway is a drop-in centre in Chippenham, North Wiltshire providing a friendly, safe place for adults who are homeless or who have complex issues, such as debt, mental health problems, substance abuse or poor life skills which are likely to affect their ability to acquire or sustain a tenancy.

The donation from The FA Community Shield has enabled Doorway to continue to make a difference to the lives of many homeless people by providing them with a hope for the future. Another non-League outfit to get through to the First Round of The Cup, Staffordshire-based Chasetown FC, who play in the Southern League Division One Midlands, opted to donate their £5,000 share of The Community Shield fund to a local charity for older people.

The Burntwood Live at Home Scheme supports people through a variety of services to live independently in their own homes, often preventing the need for them to enter residential care. The donation will be used to support the work of older people with the early signs of dementia.

Manchester United stars Ronaldo and Alan Smith recently met representatives from the three local charities who benefited from Manchester United’s 2006 Community Shield donation. Beechwood Cancer Care in Chelford Grove, Stockport, the Royal School for the Deaf and Communication Disorders in Cheadle Hulme and the Warrington group of the brain injury association Headway all received a split of the £5,000.

The remainder of the 2006 fund was distributed among The FA’s four official Charity Partners. The FA Charity Programme includes two lead FA Charity Partners - The British Heart Foundation and the Everyman ‘Keep Your Eye on the Ball’ campaign, which is focused on combating testicular and prostate cancer organised in partnership with the PFA.

Good post.You almost forget its about charity and those attendances probably mean it wont move anytime soon.

Be the usual hardcore 15,000 I’d say then a few thousand irregulars who can’t get Wembley tickets for the big games and a few tourists who pick up tickets in our end from agencies. I’ve only been to the Villa one which was good. A few lads who went against Arsenal said never again after that pathetic showing.
I'll be there - somewhere between a hardcore and an irregular. I can see why some folk aren't bothering - Pep's selection in the League Cup against the rags annoys me to this day - and a wet display this time will prove the absentees correct. Wembley for me is just an hour direct on the train, so I'm hoping for a decent display but if not, I'll at least enjoy a few jars in Camden after.

well I'm going - one day these wembley trips will dry up (or more likely I'll be dead)

I'll be there - somewhere between a hardcore and an irregular. I can see why some folk aren't bothering - Pep's selection in the League Cup against the rags annoys me to this day - and a wet display this time will prove the absentees correct. Wembley for me is just an hour direct on the train, so I'm hoping for a decent display but if not, I'll at least enjoy a few jars in Camden after.

Not bothering because it is no longer competitive and certainly the best players will not be on show. Why fork out for a knock about?
I wish it was not this way but l too have never got over that League Cup match when Pep gave Maureen his get out of jail card instead of burying him, nor the Pelligrini Charity Shield match against the Arse. Pelli said he'd put a strong team out, not falling for that bollox again.

Off on holiday, could only take a week and it had to be August, so I’m jibbing this and the arse away...

Went to the first one at the new Wembley where we lost to the scum, and the Chelsea one at VP, afraid the novelty has worn off for me...

Be the usual hardcore 15,000 I’d say then a few thousand irregulars who can’t get Wembley tickets for the big games and a few tourists who pick up tickets in our end from agencies. I’ve only been to the Villa one which was good. A few lads who went against Arsenal said never again after that pathetic showing.

I know of at least 5 what I would consider hardcore fans that are either unable to make it for financial reasons (trip to london week after also) or on holiday abroard, think if it reverted to the Saturday 3pm time slot and trains were not so expensive it woyld be mone appealing.

I am away so cannot make it, but only time I could get off works and already pissed the wife off for booking flights back to arrive 11th so I don't miss the season start

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.